Used 1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Keeps on runnin'!
By Scorp67

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this truck used with about 40,000 miles on it. Ten years later I have over 261,000 miles and its still running great. I have had to put a couple thousand into it but nothing major. Clutch, tires, brakes, etc. I am NOT good at getting the oil changed but that hasn't slowed it down any. Definitely have gotten my money's worth AND MORE out of this truck. I plan on driving it until it won't drive anymore and then give it a dignified funeral! :)

Favorite Features

The fact I can, and HAVE hauled a LOT of stuff over the years. Overall reliability has been great.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint is it has no gumption whatsoever when going uphill (unless you have a running start) or driving against a strong headwind. Also, the best mileage I have managed to get is 20 MPG. I also have the permanent "CHECK ENGINE" light. It has been on non stop since about 50,000 miles!

Work Truck
By Me

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This is a great truck for the money and it's easy to work on but be ready to work on it because nothing lasts. Make sure to do all preventative maintenance.

Favorite Features

Good mileage for a 4WD

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality. I've had dodges with less problems

Fix or repair often
By scorpio53

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I've had my 96 ranger since new and I've replaced rotors,bearings and calipers twice and I baby this thing,I've also replace all brakelines mastercylinder powersteering pump and lines.The truck has a mind of it's own and the lights inside and outside come on and go off at will as well as the alarm bells ring the motor switch on the interior fan stopped working as well and the radio won't shut off,I'll never own another one!!!

Favorite Features

If I'm able to get a trade in of 500 bucks it will be my favorite thing!!!

Suggested Improvements

Factory warranties should run for three years or 30,000 miles

Amazing Little Truck
By drdz070

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 1996 Ranger a little over a year ago with 113000 miles on it and i have since brought that total up to 143000 miles. The truck has required very little work, other that the basics like oil changes. In fact, the only thing i've had done to it, that was of any consequence, was the replacement of two belts and a tensioner. I would recomend this little truck to anyone and i am saddened that it has come time for a new car. I hope that the next owner enjoys it as much as I have.

Favorite Features

Flip-top sunroof, exterior design (eliminator package with custom ground effects and spoiler which was all factory) and automatic transmission

My 5th Ranger
By fugitive

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Have owned Rangers since 1983. The only real problem I have had with the '96 was the automatic hubs went out, I had them replaced with manual hubs for $260. As of today I have 98,000 miles and the body and finish are still excellent.

Favorite Features

I like the 7' bed and the 4 liter V-6.