1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Keeps on runnin'!
By Scorp67 on 06/25/10 23:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this truck used with about 40,000 miles on it. Ten years later I have over 261,000 miles and its still running great. I have had to put a couple thousand into it but nothing major. Clutch, tires, brakes, etc. I am NOT good at getting the oil changed but that hasn't slowed it down any. Definitely have gotten my money's worth AND MORE out of this truck. I plan on driving it until it won't drive anymore and then give it a dignified funeral! :)

Work Truck
By Me on 08/16/09 08:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This is a great truck for the money and it's easy to work on but be ready to work on it because nothing lasts. Make sure to do all preventative maintenance.

Fix or repair often
By scorpio53 on 05/02/09 05:32 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I've had my 96 ranger since new and I've replaced rotors,bearings and calipers twice and I baby this thing,I've also replace all brakelines mastercylinder powersteering pump and lines.The truck has a mind of it's own and the lights inside and outside come on and go off at will as well as the alarm bells ring the motor switch on the interior fan stopped working as well and the radio won't shut off,I'll never own another one!!!

Amazing Little Truck
By drdz070 on 11/17/07 09:52 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 1996 Ranger a little over a year ago with 113000 miles on it and i have since brought that total up to 143000 miles. The truck has required very little work, other that the basics like oil changes. In fact, the only thing i've had done to it, that was of any consequence, was the replacement of two belts and a tensioner. I would recomend this little truck to anyone and i am saddened that it has come time for a new car. I hope that the next owner enjoys it as much as I have.

My 5th Ranger
By fugitive on 03/23/05 18:26 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Have owned Rangers since 1983. The only real problem I have had with the '96 was the automatic hubs went out, I had them replaced with manual hubs for $260. As of today I have 98,000 miles and the body and finish are still excellent.

no test drive required
By fastz28s on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Purchased used with 31k miles. Have had zero problems, aside from the carrier bearing on the two-piece driveshaft scaring me when it gave. An excellent vehicle, it is easy to see why there are so many of them on the road. And I'm a GM guy (2 Z28s, 2 Firebirds and a Trailblazer in the stable now).

Pyro's review
By Pyroqueen13 on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Well its a tough little truck, i've gone everywhere in my little ranger, and i gotta say i love it and i wouldn't have anything else, its a good starter truck. I wish it would last me forever, but sadly all good things must come to an end, i hope thats far off for my little ranger.

Great little truck
By Mdixon on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This was my first new vehicle. I got it off the lot with 12 miles on it. No real complaints. this truck really is built ford tough. i hit a deer about 2 years ago. Airbag deployed and the fiberglass pieces and lights were all messed up. all messed up. got a new airbag and lights etc and got back on the road. no engine trouble. radiator was well protected. she's getting old and bouncy on bumps now tho, but she's got 170000 miles on it. check engine light has been on since i hit 50,000 miles. needs a $150 replacement sensor or something, but still runs well.

Me Ranger
By J30rdesign on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have had no problems with my truck. I was told to just keep the oil changed and I would never have a problem. Well they were right. I have driven this truck hard, beat it up and it still wants more! Great Truck

Reliable Truck
By Arty304 on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a good basic reliable compact truck. I own the 4 cylinder 2.3L model with a five speed. For the higher elevations of Colorado its a little underpowered, but around town and the plains its fine. A good quality truck.