1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

XLT Extended Cab Pickup (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Totally worth it love this truck
By dangerranger48 on 12/04/14 10:20 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

i traded a newer car for this truck have to say it was worth yes its had some problems but nothing serious the biggest problem ive had is iac valve going out 40 dollar part and the tailgate handle broke this truck runs great smooth riding i would have another one

Been Worth the $
By cmd on 02/05/10 10:07 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used with 72K, now I'm up to 138K and the 2.3L (5 spd Man) engine is running good. During the cold months, I get 20-22 on the Hwy, but when it's warm, I've gotten 27! The body has held up great and I've had to replace some things like brake lines, Pwr Steering lines, Upper and lower ball joints, e-brake cable and the surprise was the brackets on the rear springs. But overall, I'm paying less than a car payment. My boys want me to keep it for when they start driving it. I put some new Cooper ATR tires on it this year and it's done pretty good getting up the hill on my drive way here in the CLE area with 200lb of sand in the back.

Still trucking
By stone on 02/21/08 15:25 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought used in 01 w/ 70K. At 204k now. avg 22mpg! std 2.3L dual plug version. Still runs great, but engine is fially tapping on hills now.

Treating me good
By Ray_Scheel on 08/08/05 10:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Original owner, 4.0 V6 manual extended cab. Easy to work on, gas mileage is good, and has hauled in some bigger loads than one might expect for its size. Roomy enough for me (6'3"). Things I've had to repair, in order: The O2 sensor, under warranty, <5000 miles. Starter relay ($9) flaked out at 70K. Throwout bearing (manual) at around 90K miles, garage charged $300 for that and a clutch replacement. Driveshaft carrier bearing disintegrated at about 120K miles, $30 part. Gas pedal mounting bolts/rivets (<$1) fell out at 140K. Front brakes at around 160K miles, in the $30-$60 range. At 174K miles the ignition switch shorted and the truck was trying to start without a key, $20 part.

I Lost It
By 96rangerlover on 08/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My mom got it brand new in 96. Then my dad put a 3" lift on it. Then when I turnd 16 my mom gave it to me. I was using just to go to work and school. Then 4 months later after i got it, I was making a left turn and some people in a car T-boned me. So truck is no more. Ever since then I'v been looking for another 96.(My favrite year).

1996 Ford Ranger
By anthony727 on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Excellent vehicle. Low replacement of parts during maintence except common stuff like brakes oil filter, air filter, ect.

In Alabama you need the 4.0L
By LilBit on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It's a very reliable truck. I bought it used in 10/97. I love it! The only thing besides normal wear items like a battery, tires and oil changes, is that I had to replace the oil pan seal. The one thing I don't like is the lack of power(3.0L)and performance going up the hills on the interstates and roads here in Alabama

Love this truck
By corrupted on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drove this truck back and forth from MD to NC every weekend for 2 years and never had a problem with it. I've had it for 5 years, bought it used. The only thing I've had to recently replace were the tires.

Great Truck no problems
By Ed O'Sully on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

The only problems i had with this truck were ones i caused myself.

Ford Ranger
By billybobjoe on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

A great truck for a great price.