Used 1996 Ford Ranger XLT Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Totally worth it love this truck
By dangerranger48

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

i traded a newer car for this truck have to say it was worth yes its had some problems but nothing serious the biggest problem ive had is iac valve going out 40 dollar part and the tailgate handle broke this truck runs great smooth riding i would have another one

my favorite features are the stepside bed way it rides and good gas mileage for a truck

only improvements i see is they need to sale better iac valve and make the tailgate handle better but outside of that great truck

Been Worth the $
By cmd

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used with 72K, now I'm up to 138K and the 2.3L (5 spd Man) engine is running good. During the cold months, I get 20-22 on the Hwy, but when it's warm, I've gotten 27! The body has held up great and I've had to replace some things like brake lines, Pwr Steering lines, Upper and lower ball joints, e-brake cable and the surprise was the brackets on the rear springs. But overall, I'm paying less than a car payment. My boys want me to keep it for when they start driving it. I put some new Cooper ATR tires on it this year and it's done pretty good getting up the hill on my drive way here in the CLE area with 200lb of sand in the back.

Good mileage in the summer and a useful and dependable vehicle.

Under coat or Zinc Prime the underneath (at the factory!)

Still trucking
By stone

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought used in 01 w/ 70K. At 204k now. avg 22mpg! std 2.3L dual plug version. Still runs great, but engine is fially tapping on hills now.

Not much special, it is a simple truck. Auto windows, door locks

Too late to improve anything really. Maybe a 3rd door for rear cabin access like newer trucks.

Treating me good
By Ray_Scheel

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Original owner, 4.0 V6 manual extended cab. Easy to work on, gas mileage is good, and has hauled in some bigger loads than one might expect for its size. Roomy enough for me (6'3"). Things I've had to repair, in order: The O2 sensor, under warranty, <5000 miles. Starter relay ($9) flaked out at 70K. Throwout bearing (manual) at around 90K miles, garage charged $300 for that and a clutch replacement. Driveshaft carrier bearing disintegrated at about 120K miles, $30 part. Gas pedal mounting bolts/rivets (<$1) fell out at 140K. Front brakes at around 160K miles, in the $30-$60 range. At 174K miles the ignition switch shorted and the truck was trying to start without a key, $20 part.

The A/C has yet to meet a Texas summer it can't handle and has NEVER needed a recharge. Spaces behind the jump seats are handy storage spots. Headlights have excellent coverage. Interior has stayed looking good despite poor cleaning habits.

The included jack just doesn't cut it. The hook for hanging clothes should be moved further behind the driver's seat so they don't block the rear view.

I Lost It
By 96rangerlover

My mom got it brand new in 96. Then my
dad put a 3" lift on it. Then when I
turnd 16 my mom gave it to me. I was
using just to go to work and school.
Then 4 months later after i got it, I
was making a left turn and some people
in a car T-boned me. So truck is no
more. Ever since then I'v been looking
for another 96.(My favrite year).

The AC and the usable power from the 4.0

The 5 speed tranny(I went though 4 of them). And the gas milage.