Used 1996 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Totally worth it love this truck
By dangerranger48

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

i traded a newer car for this truck have to say it was worth yes its had some problems but nothing serious the biggest problem ive had is iac valve going out 40 dollar part and the tailgate handle broke this truck runs great smooth riding i would have another one

Favorite Features

my favorite features are the stepside bed way it rides and good gas mileage for a truck

Suggested Improvements

only improvements i see is they need to sale better iac valve and make the tailgate handle better but outside of that great truck

Poor Trans
By Ford4me

1996 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was the second truck I have ever owned. I liked the size until now when I need a bigger truck because of family. I have had multiple issues with the Transmission, starting at 98,000 miles. Door handles broke at 120,000. Rear Tailgate handle broke around the same time. Over all a good truck.

Favorite Features

Size

Suggested Improvements

Get a better Trans and re-design the handles so they are more durable.

Keeps on runnin'!
By Scorp67

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this truck used with about 40,000 miles on it. Ten years later I have over 261,000 miles and its still running great. I have had to put a couple thousand into it but nothing major. Clutch, tires, brakes, etc. I am NOT good at getting the oil changed but that hasn't slowed it down any. Definitely have gotten my money's worth AND MORE out of this truck. I plan on driving it until it won't drive anymore and then give it a dignified funeral! :)

Favorite Features

The fact I can, and HAVE hauled a LOT of stuff over the years. Overall reliability has been great.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint is it has no gumption whatsoever when going uphill (unless you have a running start) or driving against a strong headwind. Also, the best mileage I have managed to get is 20 MPG. I also have the permanent "CHECK ENGINE" light. It has been on non stop since about 50,000 miles!

Been Worth the $
By cmd

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used with 72K, now I'm up to 138K and the 2.3L (5 spd Man) engine is running good. During the cold months, I get 20-22 on the Hwy, but when it's warm, I've gotten 27! The body has held up great and I've had to replace some things like brake lines, Pwr Steering lines, Upper and lower ball joints, e-brake cable and the surprise was the brackets on the rear springs. But overall, I'm paying less than a car payment. My boys want me to keep it for when they start driving it. I put some new Cooper ATR tires on it this year and it's done pretty good getting up the hill on my drive way here in the CLE area with 200lb of sand in the back.

Favorite Features

Good mileage in the summer and a useful and dependable vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Under coat or Zinc Prime the underneath (at the factory!)

Work Truck
By Me

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This is a great truck for the money and it's easy to work on but be ready to work on it because nothing lasts. Make sure to do all preventative maintenance.

Favorite Features

Good mileage for a 4WD

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality. I've had dodges with less problems