1996 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Poor Trans
By Ford4me on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was the second truck I have ever owned. I liked the size until now when I need a bigger truck because of family. I have had multiple issues with the Transmission, starting at 98,000 miles. Door handles broke at 120,000. Rear Tailgate handle broke around the same time. Over all a good truck.

Keeps on runnin'!
By Scorp67 on 06/25/10 23:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased this truck used with about 40,000 miles on it. Ten years later I have over 261,000 miles and its still running great. I have had to put a couple thousand into it but nothing major. Clutch, tires, brakes, etc. I am NOT good at getting the oil changed but that hasn't slowed it down any. Definitely have gotten my money's worth AND MORE out of this truck. I plan on driving it until it won't drive anymore and then give it a dignified funeral! :)

Been Worth the $
By cmd on 02/05/10 10:07 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used with 72K, now I'm up to 138K and the 2.3L (5 spd Man) engine is running good. During the cold months, I get 20-22 on the Hwy, but when it's warm, I've gotten 27! The body has held up great and I've had to replace some things like brake lines, Pwr Steering lines, Upper and lower ball joints, e-brake cable and the surprise was the brackets on the rear springs. But overall, I'm paying less than a car payment. My boys want me to keep it for when they start driving it. I put some new Cooper ATR tires on it this year and it's done pretty good getting up the hill on my drive way here in the CLE area with 200lb of sand in the back.

Work Truck
By Me on 08/16/09 08:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This is a great truck for the money and it's easy to work on but be ready to work on it because nothing lasts. Make sure to do all preventative maintenance.

Fix or repair often
By scorpio53 on 05/02/09 05:32 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I've had my 96 ranger since new and I've replaced rotors,bearings and calipers twice and I baby this thing,I've also replace all brakelines mastercylinder powersteering pump and lines.The truck has a mind of it's own and the lights inside and outside come on and go off at will as well as the alarm bells ring the motor switch on the interior fan stopped working as well and the radio won't shut off,I'll never own another one!!!

4.0L ranger review
By Fat Jackson on 03/20/09 11:38 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

When I bought my ranger the transmission was going out at 138000 miles. It was the 4.0L model, and shortly after I had the transmission rebuilt, the water pump went out making the engine over heat. The 4.0L engines apparently have aluminum heads which are notorious for not being able to withstand high temperatures, so both the heads cracked after overheating twice. Buy a subaru, I had an 89 Subaru that overheated all the time and the engine just kept on ticking

Still trucking
By stone on 02/21/08 15:25 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought used in 01 w/ 70K. At 204k now. avg 22mpg! std 2.3L dual plug version. Still runs great, but engine is fially tapping on hills now.

Amazing Little Truck
By drdz070 on 11/17/07 09:52 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 1996 Ranger a little over a year ago with 113000 miles on it and i have since brought that total up to 143000 miles. The truck has required very little work, other that the basics like oil changes. In fact, the only thing i've had done to it, that was of any consequence, was the replacement of two belts and a tensioner. I would recomend this little truck to anyone and i am saddened that it has come time for a new car. I hope that the next owner enjoys it as much as I have.

Like a good friend
By Dentpipe on 09/04/06 11:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've owed this vehicle new from dealership; driven it hard and regular. I've never experienced a problem - Just semi-regular maintenance. I'd buy it again. The only thing I'd change is adding a console.

Treating me good
By Ray_Scheel on 08/08/05 10:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Original owner, 4.0 V6 manual extended cab. Easy to work on, gas mileage is good, and has hauled in some bigger loads than one might expect for its size. Roomy enough for me (6'3"). Things I've had to repair, in order: The O2 sensor, under warranty, <5000 miles. Starter relay ($9) flaked out at 70K. Throwout bearing (manual) at around 90K miles, garage charged $300 for that and a clutch replacement. Driveshaft carrier bearing disintegrated at about 120K miles, $30 part. Gas pedal mounting bolts/rivets (<$1) fell out at 140K. Front brakes at around 160K miles, in the $30-$60 range. At 174K miles the ignition switch shorted and the truck was trying to start without a key, $20 part.

1 2 3 4 5 next »