1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
the 4.0 engine is a piece of crap
By joeblo1 on 02/25/13 23:25 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 122,000 miles on it. It has 137,000 now and it has been nothing but trouble. I have had to replace the midshift bearings twice, the belt tensioner, body bushings and the fuel pump. The head gasket blew several weeks ago. When the engine was in pieces, we saw that one of the pistons had rubbed out gap in the cylinder wall. The motor is now completely useless.

Built FORD Tough
By xrodriguez on 08/09/12 00:42 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got my 1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L as a hand me down form my mother. with 165,000 miles. It is a very reliable truck and it lives up to its reputation. I have had many electrical problems. Dome light failed to go off and I had to take off the bulbs myself with a rag....ouch. Also, the dash lighting is starting to go out, and the trip and mileage reading went out. Took it many long trips. Had a friend in a Camaro try to take my reputation away with the ladies in High School. When we got off road I showed him out. And for a 2.3 threw a little dust and rocks in his face. Though I wish the back had a little more room in the back. It is a shame that Rangers are being discontinued. It is a mistake

no complaints at all
By Denise Partika on 02/03/10 22:27 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

We bought our ranger new in Aug. 95 it has been a reliable truck for pleasure and for work (rental clean ups). To this day my seats are still in good condition no rips or worn spots. I did have my windshield replaced 4 times. Mine has 185,000 miles on it. Doesn't use or leak oil, trans fluid or water. The suspension is still original no problems. Engine maintenance I had 1 fuel injector fail had it fixed no problems since. I replaced the perge container, starter, battery, couple hoses, brakes, repaired the gas tank filler hose. normal wear & tear stuff.

I LOVE MY TRUCK
By Gramstrk on 07/25/09 21:52 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it used. I knew I would be moving and so were my daughters and I wanted to have a truck. I am so happy I bought it and have more than gotten my money's worth from it. It has 180K miles and still going strong. The only problem I have is that I have grandkids and I can't put them in the back seats because it doesn't have whatever it is that needs to hook up the carseat. I take it on long trips all the time and have never had a problem. I also get really good gas mileage. I have had many different cars in my life(Im 57)but this is my favorite so far. I have to get a smaller car and I'm sad I have to sell it. All the cars I've looked at so far can't compare to this truck.

just won't quit
By volosong on 05/01/09 11:42 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this vehicle new and have been the only owner. Honestly, I've neglected maintenance on it, but it keep acting like the Enegizer Bunny...just keeps going and going. Only two set of brake pads, only mechanical problem in 270,000 miles of driving is the that the throwout bearing and the fuel filler hose needed to be replaced. Nothing else! I chalk that up to my dad's advice to always purchase the very inexpensive "towing package". Only reason for finally selling is that the wife purchased another vehicle that I can use for a two vehicle. By the way, I've even used the Ranger to tow my Mercedes to the shop, a sixty-mile one-way drive. No issues.

I'll never get rid of it!
By Jennie on 02/21/09 13:51 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used in 1999 with 19k miles on it. Ten years and 85,000 miles later, I still love my Ranger. It's never left me stranded and it's still fun to drive- despite the lack of technology I enjoyed with my Nissan 300ZX and 03 Acura TL. Performed well on my cross-country moves from San Diego to Philadelphia (though doesn't do well in snow). If you're on a budget, definitely consider this car. It's reliable, good MPG, safe, and a much better value than the competition.

Built to last
By blackbetty on 11/22/08 09:26 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT single cab. It currently has 253,000 miles on it. In the nearly two years I have owned her she has never broken down, she has continued to outlast. I used to own a 98 Chevy S-10 and by far the 95 Ranger out performs the Chevy line. After 253,000 miles she still gets 26 mpg highway. I look forward to many years to come with my favorite truck

Miracle worker
By Mr Bill on 06/11/08 23:16 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought new 2.3L inline 4 cylinder ext cab in 95', it has held up amazingly well inspite of my repeatedly loading it down with tools and materials to build decks and kitchens. Other than a clutch rebuild I've never had a problem!

My truck
By sncfwlr on 05/30/07 08:59 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It has never failed to start. never left me stranded. I have hauled 2000 lb. in the bed. and can pull trailer wait. I can't hardly pull a bass boat up and out of the water very well but it does the job. It's been a good truck.

Best truck I have ever known
By Matt on 03/21/07 12:59 PM (PDT)

1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Put 110K miles on it over 5 years and never had a problem. Most of the miles were city miles and the clutch wore out at 165K. The mechanic did a compression check and said it could easily go another 50K before an overhaul. There were some off-road and harsh miles in there too. The 4 cylinder was always great on gas (I routinely averaged about 29 mpg) and was adequate to keep up with traffic but would not win a drag race.