Used 1994 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

one of the best trucks ever
By MIGHTY ranger

1994 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

This ranger could be the Johnny Cash of trucks - "its been everywhere". I have my own complaints about it - but given that all its owners have treated it really bad. I have the crazy 4 cylinder (8 plugs), I am on the 3rd transmission, 2nd clutch, second starter. all of which I robbed from $25 parts trucks found locally. I have hit deer, bridges, barns, small brush trees. I have hauled tons of everything - car parts, cars, and wood. And even though the fluid clutch leaks, I can count on it 100% - do not use ATF as suggested by Ford - it rots the seals, causing the input shaft to break at the best possible time (250 miles from home) LOVE THE MIGHT-Y RANGER.

Favorite Features

Built-in security system - you can't drive off with a truck that can't go into gear, and who wants to steal parts off this thing. Lots of fun - but don't take yourself serious, as it is slow.

Suggested Improvements

Rewrite the manual to say use light gear oil for manual trannys, and go back to the old fashioned line clutch. And please use 1 plug per cylinder. And normal oil capacity for a 4cylinder. I would like a tow winch to pull others out of ditches, and some metal tracks to drive out of mud.

Reliable
By Tim

1994 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

It is a reliable truck. 2.3L great gas mileage. I get 28 to 30 mpg! But it goes from 0-60 in a like 3 minutes. No power what so ever even though it is a 2wd. I can't figure out why it needs 8 spark plugs in a 4cylinder? It only has 98hp.

Favorite Features

I honestly like the size. As a work truck it fits the gas mileage bill.

Suggested Improvements

If you need a CB like I do at work expect a lot of electrical noise. I believe a lot of it is from the electrical fuel pump but the electrical noise is very bad.

Great truck
By Carlos

1994 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I bought the truck in 1998 with 50k miles on it and it is still running great. It's kind of rough on bumpy roads. I've only had to replace the battery, brakes, and electrical components at 100k miles. I'm not a big Ford fan, but it has gotten me through the years without any major problems. And of course I had to put 30 inch all terrain tires on it.

Favorite Features

Off road capabilities. Good power(4.0 V6). Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is poor. I don't even get 20 miles to the gallon. Could be the bigger tires.

Mighty Mouse
By Ed

1994 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I love my Ford Ranger. I think that a Ford Ranger is the best vehicle that a teenager can own. It has all the get up and go that I need, never lets me down, and is easy to beef up, performance-wise.

Favorite Features

My favorite features about my Ranger are the V-6 (4.0), durability, and dependability.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that my Ranger had a set of 4:10 gears to go with the decent size V-6, or even a V-8!

Build to last
By Armbruster

1994 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Ford Ranger when it was one year old in 1995. My truck had 40,000 miles on it then. 10 years later it has 227,000 miles on it! I still love this truck. Last summer I replaced the transmission and thought of getting another vehicle. I didn't need to; here it is another year later and it is still driving fantastic. Through the years I have replaced one water pump (at 160,000 miles) 2 batteries, the clutch at 190,000 miles, the oxygen sensor, brakes, tires, and the faulty emergency brake recall item. I can't think of anything else. (oh, I did replace the serpentine and timing belts as a precaution at 120,000 miles). A FANTASTIC vehicle. This is my third Ranger and I will buy another.

Favorite Features

Great tailgate - easy to open and close. Runs smoothly, corners easily, good gas mileage (around 26), very reliable, good sound system, love the air conditioning.

Suggested Improvements

Needs different window profile (replaced 3 windshields and got about 5 rock chips repaired) Need a lower speed on heater fan, redesigned driver mirror - car lights at night hit the mirror from behind and blind me. Angle bad for plugging anything into cigarette lighter.