Used 1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Hate to admit it's this good...
By Convert

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've owned and been around full size GM trucks for a long time - a true Chevy guy. But I needed a truck (1st house rehab) recently, and couldn't afford a new one. A friend of mine offered me his old 1994 Ranger with 150K on it for cheap money, so I figured "why not?". Well, I'm glad I did! This comfortable little truck (2wd Extended Cab 4.0 5-speed) runs beautifully, is great on gas (20/24), has no problem hauling whatever I need, and has no rust after 150K of Rhode Island winters (road salt galore). It does need an Idle Air Valve, and it probably needs a new A/C compressor, but it has been good to its previous (original) owner, and it's forced me to change my opinion of Ford.

Smooth, strong engine. Gas mileage. Storage room (Xcab).

Pillars between doors and extracab are unnecessarily wide and obstruct vision - safety issue. Mirrors buzz due to poor design and are too narrow. Cupholder molded into gearshift cover is where my leg needs to be - somebody slap the guy who 'engineered' that one. Locking rear axle would be great.

Great litle truck
By jaxmo

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used in 1996. It had 15,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has 117,000. This truck has done everything I asked of it and gave me nine years of trouble free service. The only items I replaced were the battery, brakes, temp gauge sender, tires and a $15 sensor. Still has original clutch, starter, exhaust, etc. Still not a spot of rust on it (Cleveland area) Parked in the same spot every day and not one drop of oil on the floor. The most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I still like driving it. Can't say enough good things about it.

The 4.0L engine has lots of power and runs smooth as silk. Transmission shifts smooth and positive. Comfy seats.

Perfect just the way it is.

My Baby
By jogle

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My first and only vehicle. Bought in 1997 with 9K. The seats fit me perfectly, I am 6 ft 240lb. I have 2 kids and four of us can ride fairly comfortably (my wife is 5'2" 115lb). I have changed the brakes, rotors, plugs and plug wires. Daily driver on average 30 miles per day. Another kid on the way may mean I have to purchase another vehicle. No matter what, I will not sell my Ranger.

4.0 L V6, dependability.

None.

Only 1 regret
By jcd302

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is my 3rd Ranger and my last one lasted to 182,000 miles. I sold it 4.5 years ago and he is STILL driving it. I have HAD to do nothing to her, but I did convert the 3.08 open differential to Traction-Loc & added a trailer towing package. 146,200 miles and only done 1 wheel bearing. I get 22mpg in the summer and 17/19 in the winter. I love it and will buy my 4th Ranger when this one finally dies, but my 9 year old daughter is planning on it being around when she gets her license, so maybe in 7 more years. I should have over 300k on it by then. Ford only rates it at 1200# towing capacity, but I have towed my 2000# pop-up camper with no problems and even taken a trailer w/ 2800# of trash to the dump!

Comfort, leg room, handling, FORD reliability! Of course the trailer towing package and 3.08 Traction-loc that I had to add myself.

Needs to be replaced with an '05 4x4. Now that I have moved out to the sticks, 4x4 would be nice in the winter. Ford should have Traction-loc standard on trucks. When it is wet the light rear end just spins the tires.

Great truck
By David

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Reliability has been excellant. Very convenient getting objects out of bed and easy to get in and out. While my new 150 Supercrew is more fun to drive on the highway, the Ranger is a better everyday useage vehicle.

• SUV