1994 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
1994 Ford Ranger
By thedog on 07/31/08 20:02 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 1994 Ford Ranger for a steal at 1000 dollars. When I bought it, it had 328,000 miles on as far as I know the first engine. I have only replaced the starter and the fuel pump and soon it will need a new clutch but other than that it still runs great at 337,000 miles.

Will Live Forever
By Kent on 07/11/08 19:55 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I bought it in October of 2007. It currently has 264000 miles on it and it's still on its first engine and transmission. It has many many more miles to come. It hasn't given me hardly any trouble at all and I haven't done any repairs besides ordinary preventative maintainance. Still runs and drives like new and has no mechanical problems.

Never stops
By -stanky on 07/02/08 21:10 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

So good. I love the power it has off the start, after popping into second you're gone. It's definitely the most comfortable ride, super smooth like butter.

Great truck, keeps on going
By Bill on 05/22/08 10:10 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger STX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in '94 and I used it every day for 10 years until I got a family minivan. I have towed concrete mixers, hauled scrap and lumber, use it weekly to carry stuff to the dump. I carried the kids in the extended cab (when they were little, not a lot of room there.) The truck never let me down and today I still have it (though it's semi-retired)and use it 3-4 times a month to go to the dump. It has 167,000 miles on it and now my daughter just got her lisense and she drives it daily to school and about. It still gets 22+MPG. Never did more than routine maint and replaced the clutch 2x. What a great investment in 1994!

1994 Ford Ranger 2WD SuperCab 4.0L
By idrivearanger5 on 05/04/08 05:34 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

Even though I have only had it for a few months, my Ranger has proved itself to be a reliable, tough and fun to drive truck. With the odometer nearly touching 150,000, this Ranger is a true American workhorse. The city MPG is really pitiful(12-16), but the highway is pretty good, I calcuated 24 mpg. These Rangers can take a beating I'll tell you what! I am 100% sold on Ford vehicles and I will never buy anything else. We also own a 2005 Ford Freestyle AWD and we love that too. Kudos to Ford!

Best little truck I ever owned
By Ludwig on 12/24/07 17:23 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Bought this truck new in 1994 because I liked the way it looked compared to the competitors small trucks. I always get compliments on the looks and even after owning it for over 13 years and racking up 240,000 miles it still runs great,no engine or transmission problems, it still has the original clutch and exhaust system. The 4.0 v6 has plenty of power, engine is very responsive, I'm still getting around 20 mpg, the 4WD great, but when the factory hubs went bad I replaced them with manual locking hubs, a lot easier on the wallet and more reliable. I can't say anything bad about this truck, it's been the best truck I ever owned

120,000 miles, No Problems
By Vasolini on 05/25/07 09:45 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This has been a great vehicle. Although the 4 cylinder engine lacks a bit of power for towing, the truck has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The only time I've ever had it in the shop was because of the hydralic clutch. I could not get that thing to bleed out the air! Other than that, just the usual maintenance, and this truck could last forever, just about!

one of the best trucks ever
By MIGHTY ranger on 03/28/07 20:15 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

This ranger could be the Johnny Cash of trucks - "its been everywhere". I have my own complaints about it - but given that all its owners have treated it really bad. I have the crazy 4 cylinder (8 plugs), I am on the 3rd transmission, 2nd clutch, second starter. all of which I robbed from $25 parts trucks found locally. I have hit deer, bridges, barns, small brush trees. I have hauled tons of everything - car parts, cars, and wood. And even though the fluid clutch leaks, I can count on it 100% - do not use ATF as suggested by Ford - it rots the seals, causing the input shaft to break at the best possible time (250 miles from home) LOVE THE MIGHT-Y RANGER.

Reliable
By Tim on 11/06/06 14:46 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

It is a reliable truck. 2.3L great gas mileage. I get 28 to 30 mpg! But it goes from 0-60 in a like 3 minutes. No power what so ever even though it is a 2wd. I can't figure out why it needs 8 spark plugs in a 4cylinder? It only has 98hp.

My Ranger in review
By Bruce on 12/22/05 21:27 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I first took possession of my 1994 Ford Ranger XLT on 3/3/04. Overall, the truck has been quite reliable. In the almost 2 years I've had it, I have replaced the starter, idler pulley, fan belt, (broke when pulley seized), and rear leaf spring mounts. It currently has a power steering leak, and needs brakes, that's it. The total amount for all my repairs is about $300 over 2 years; not bad for an 11 year old truck.