Used 1994 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

A recalll that needs to happen
By Bub Cooper

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have only owned this 4x4 a short time but very dissatisfied. When putting in 4x4 I hear a growling and clunking. After reading many reviews they still have problems with auto hubs, relays and 4x4 motor on transfer case. The truck is very uncomfotable to drive but has alot of power with the V6 engine. This truvk is a 94 and you would think Ford would have fixed the problems with the 4x4 by now. By the way it burns a court of oil every two fill ups but doesn't leak a drop. I'm selling this piece of sh.t

Favorite Features

Power only

Suggested Improvements

Start over and read reviews

I made the right choice.
By anonymous

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned this vehicle since it was new. It has been outstanding in reliability. When I purchased this truck I had one thing in mind and that was long term ownership. This truck has not let me down. Compared to today's newer trucks and cars with so many creature comforts yes this truck looks a little aged, but I do not plan to give this thing up for anything. As long as it runs and is reliable I will drive it daily. Even when I finally do purchase a new vehicle I will probably keep this as a second car. Of course this is not a vehicle for everyone but for a person who mostly drives alone this is great. 195,000 and still runs great with no rust. Has never seen road salt.

Favorite Features

Uncluttered instrument panel, comfortable seats and very agile. Best of all I am not stuck with black, gray or tan interior. My interior is red.

Suggested Improvements

Like others say. Better gas mileage.

A truck for all-time
By Hedgehog437

1994 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck from a pal with 11,000 miles on it in 1995. It's loaded; 4.0L V-6, PS/PB/AC/cruise/tilt/Captains chairs, the works. I now have 74,000 miles on it and it runs like it's brand new. My wife loves it because its big enough to haul her annual landscaping supplies, but small enough for her to be comfortable driving. People still offer me hard cash for this little gem, but I couldn't replace it for under $20K. It gets about 20mpg consistently, the A/C will freeze you out, and it's tough! This would be a perfect truck for someone who doesn't need to tow large trailers, etc.

Favorite Features

Looks, reliability, exterior size. Its a timeless design, that doesn't look dated even 14 years later. It does exactly what it was designed to do, and does it very well.

Suggested Improvements

The V-6 could use a little more power. The only real complaint I have is the ride; it's horrible! I have to put about 200lbs in the bed to get a decent ride. Other small trucks out there have much better rides.

Micheal Myers of trucks--just won't die.
By Lil Mule

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new in Feb of 95, and haven't looked back since. 335,234 miles (original engine and tranny) it's safe to say this truck has paid for itself three times over. With only two clutches replaced (working on my third) and regular maintainence, this truck has never given me a problem- -even after smashing a full grown deer, two rear-end collisions and a steel reinforced pole that inconspicuously jump out in front of me. All this, and doesn't drip any oil.

Favorite Features

The fact it has never left me on the side of the road.

Suggested Improvements

Direct turbo four that I hear rumored for 09 and 10 Lincons and F-150--

Avoid the 2.3!
By superbird_71

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought truck from original owner, now has 278,000 miles on it. Burns no oil. Idles rough, check engine light pops up at random, has electrical problems - if you turn the wipers on they don't turn back off. 2.3 has no power at all and gets lousy gas mileage - 20 mpg average, even with the five-speed. It has 8 incredibly hard-to-change spark plugs - why 8 spark plugs on the 4 cylinder? rear spring hangers rusted off, even though there is not a spot of rust on the body.

Favorite Features

extended cab kinda nice, but i'm not sure how i'd ever get a normal sized person in the jump seats, body styling nice

Suggested Improvements

Have to reach for the shifter - needs moved back toward the seat some. Cup holders are in a weird spot.