1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Very Suprised
By Eric on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Overall this truck has surprised me. I'm a Chevy lover and yet i like this truck. Very comfortable and great on gas. Despite i have the two wheel drive version it love the mud. No major problems with it. 189,000 miles and still going strong.

A 16 Year Old's Dream
By bigcuntry on 12/14/09 18:27 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck handed down to me from my dad, who has had it from 1996. He bought it from a private owner with 20k +/- , with the cruise control already not functioning. This has not bothered me though, I put about 30+ miles a day driving to school and back. My MPG stands at about 18-19 city, 22-23 hwy with the 3.0 V6. There have been no major issues with the truck, just routine maintenance, such as oil, brakes,fluid levels, etc. There is a oil leak at the universal joint, but its not major. at 110k, It is still going strong and I do not intend for it to quit today, or for that matter, a long time.

A truck for all-time
By Hedgehog437 on 12/20/08 20:45 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck from a pal with 11,000 miles on it in 1995. It's loaded; 4.0L V-6, PS/PB/AC/cruise/tilt/Captains chairs, the works. I now have 74,000 miles on it and it runs like it's brand new. My wife loves it because its big enough to haul her annual landscaping supplies, but small enough for her to be comfortable driving. People still offer me hard cash for this little gem, but I couldn't replace it for under $20K. It gets about 20mpg consistently, the A/C will freeze you out, and it's tough! This would be a perfect truck for someone who doesn't need to tow large trailers, etc.

Avoid the 2.3!
By superbird_71 on 09/07/08 22:41 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought truck from original owner, now has 278,000 miles on it. Burns no oil. Idles rough, check engine light pops up at random, has electrical problems - if you turn the wipers on they don't turn back off. 2.3 has no power at all and gets lousy gas mileage - 20 mpg average, even with the five-speed. It has 8 incredibly hard-to-change spark plugs - why 8 spark plugs on the 4 cylinder? rear spring hangers rusted off, even though there is not a spot of rust on the body.

Will Live Forever
By Kent on 07/11/08 19:55 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I bought it in October of 2007. It currently has 264000 miles on it and it's still on its first engine and transmission. It has many many more miles to come. It hasn't given me hardly any trouble at all and I haven't done any repairs besides ordinary preventative maintainance. Still runs and drives like new and has no mechanical problems.

Never stops
By -stanky on 07/02/08 21:10 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

So good. I love the power it has off the start, after popping into second you're gone. It's definitely the most comfortable ride, super smooth like butter.

Great truck, keeps on going
By Bill on 05/22/08 10:10 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab STX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in '94 and I used it every day for 10 years until I got a family minivan. I have towed concrete mixers, hauled scrap and lumber, use it weekly to carry stuff to the dump. I carried the kids in the extended cab (when they were little, not a lot of room there.) The truck never let me down and today I still have it (though it's semi-retired)and use it 3-4 times a month to go to the dump. It has 167,000 miles on it and now my daughter just got her lisense and she drives it daily to school and about. It still gets 22+MPG. Never did more than routine maint and replaced the clutch 2x. What a great investment in 1994!

My Ranger in review
By Bruce on 12/22/05 21:27 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I first took possession of my 1994 Ford Ranger XLT on 3/3/04. Overall, the truck has been quite reliable. In the almost 2 years I've had it, I have replaced the starter, idler pulley, fan belt, (broke when pulley seized), and rear leaf spring mounts. It currently has a power steering leak, and needs brakes, that's it. The total amount for all my repairs is about $300 over 2 years; not bad for an 11 year old truck.

Best I've ever owned
By Mountain Man on 12/04/05 23:03 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. After 157,000 miles (mostly commuting), I've not had a single mechanical failure. My only expenses have been maintenance. I drove it on a 12 hour trip and it was as comfortable as any car I've ever driven.

If you live out of the city
By Hank Jr on 09/25/05 14:44 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck in Feb. '05 with 179,800 miles, after I got my license. I'm not really a truck person but it was the only thing my dad would let me drive for insurance purposes (the insurance is kinda cheap even with full coverage). After driving it a month I had to get the brakes checked; turns out it was nothing, no major problems. I worked at Six Flags which is about 20-30 minute drive from my house. With the 3.0 engine you don't get much pick up until 2nd gear. Not for long trip, after 4 hours of driving brakes smoke when stopped even if you don't use them that much.