Used 1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Very Suprised
By Eric

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Overall this truck has surprised me. I'm a Chevy lover and yet i like this truck. Very comfortable and great on gas. Despite i have the two wheel drive version it love the mud. No major problems with it. 189,000 miles and still going strong.

Easy to work on 4cy! Full size spare tire.

More power for the 4cylinder engine

A 16 Year Old's Dream
By bigcuntry

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck handed down to me from my dad, who has had it from 1996. He bought it from a private owner with 20k +/- , with the cruise control already not functioning. This has not bothered me though, I put about 30+ miles a day driving to school and back. My MPG stands at about 18-19 city, 22-23 hwy with the 3.0 V6. There have been no major issues with the truck, just routine maintenance, such as oil, brakes,fluid levels, etc. There is a oil leak at the universal joint, but its not major. at 110k, It is still going strong and I do not intend for it to quit today, or for that matter, a long time.

Fuel mileage, The "get in and go" attitude it possesses, low maintenance cost, reliable as any toyota.

sluggish takeoff, no room for more than 2 full grown people(I fit 5 16 year old friends with me in there, last time I'll do that!)

A truck for all-time
By Hedgehog437

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck from a pal with 11,000 miles on it in 1995. It's loaded; 4.0L V-6, PS/PB/AC/cruise/tilt/Captains chairs, the works. I now have 74,000 miles on it and it runs like it's brand new. My wife loves it because its big enough to haul her annual landscaping supplies, but small enough for her to be comfortable driving. People still offer me hard cash for this little gem, but I couldn't replace it for under $20K. It gets about 20mpg consistently, the A/C will freeze you out, and it's tough! This would be a perfect truck for someone who doesn't need to tow large trailers, etc.

Looks, reliability, exterior size. Its a timeless design, that doesn't look dated even 14 years later. It does exactly what it was designed to do, and does it very well.

The V-6 could use a little more power. The only real complaint I have is the ride; it's horrible! I have to put about 200lbs in the bed to get a decent ride. Other small trucks out there have much better rides.

Avoid the 2.3!
By superbird_71

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought truck from original owner, now has 278,000 miles on it. Burns no oil. Idles rough, check engine light pops up at random, has electrical problems - if you turn the wipers on they don't turn back off. 2.3 has no power at all and gets lousy gas mileage - 20 mpg average, even with the five-speed. It has 8 incredibly hard-to-change spark plugs - why 8 spark plugs on the 4 cylinder? rear spring hangers rusted off, even though there is not a spot of rust on the body.

extended cab kinda nice, but i'm not sure how i'd ever get a normal sized person in the jump seats, body styling nice

Have to reach for the shifter - needs moved back toward the seat some. Cup holders are in a weird spot.

Will Live Forever
By Kent

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I bought it in October of 2007. It currently has 264000 miles on it and it's still on its first engine and transmission. It has many many more miles to come. It hasn't given me hardly any trouble at all and I haven't done any repairs besides ordinary preventative maintainance. Still runs and drives like new and has no mechanical problems.

Easy to use interior, comfortable, 5- speed manual makes it fun to drive. large tires (its a 4x4) make it look tough, manual locking hubs are really strong, the 4.0 liter v-6s low-end torque, and how Ford built these trucks to last. They can easily reach 300000 miles and beyond

Better gas mileage, and putting in airbags for that year would have been nice. Other than that it's great.