Used 1994 Ford Ranger XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Can't argue with it!
By smoo4asw

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

We were expecting to pay $275 to get the fuel injectors cleaned out but someone at our local AutoZone showed us a quicker and arguably better way to get it done. We put one can of Sea Foam in the gas tank and another directly into the engine through one of the vacuum lines, and then we went from having 6.75% of the total emissions being CO to only 0.02% after the smoke completely cleared! It hasn't done that good since it was new, and back then we didn't need emissions testing. This truck is such a faithful servant to us that we would rather repair or replace whatever might go wrong than start all over again. Not having a car payment is tops.

No car payment since we paid it off and we have not taken out a title loan on it ever. The ultimate level of toughness displayed over 20 years. It's so easy to get the emissions test passed on it when it's happy. It doesn't burn gas to excess like our V8 F-150 from 9 years later. Plus, when we bought it, we got it for less than $10,000! That's something that no new car can claim today and only a couple since we bought ye olde Ranger.

Please go back to making these so that people who don't need a backseat but need something that is both reliable and fuel efficient can not have to waste their money. For people who need a backseat bring back the Extended Cab models. There really isn't anything I don't like as long as the whole family doesn't need to go somewhere in it (we bought an F-150 because of that and it's equally rock solid.)

one of the best trucks ever
By MIGHTY ranger

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

This ranger could be the Johnny Cash of trucks - "its been everywhere". I have my own complaints about it - but given that all its owners have treated it really bad. I have the crazy 4 cylinder (8 plugs), I am on the 3rd transmission, 2nd clutch, second starter. all of which I robbed from $25 parts trucks found locally. I have hit deer, bridges, barns, small brush trees. I have hauled tons of everything - car parts, cars, and wood. And even though the fluid clutch leaks, I can count on it 100% - do not use ATF as suggested by Ford - it rots the seals, causing the input shaft to break at the best possible time (250 miles from home) LOVE THE MIGHT-Y RANGER.

Built-in security system - you can't drive off with a truck that can't go into gear, and who wants to steal parts off this thing. Lots of fun - but don't take yourself serious, as it is slow.

Rewrite the manual to say use light gear oil for manual trannys, and go back to the old fashioned line clutch. And please use 1 plug per cylinder. And normal oil capacity for a 4cylinder. I would like a tow winch to pull others out of ditches, and some metal tracks to drive out of mud.

Reliable
By Tim

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

It is a reliable truck. 2.3L great gas mileage. I get 28 to 30 mpg! But it goes from 0-60 in a like 3 minutes. No power what so ever even though it is a 2wd. I can't figure out why it needs 8 spark plugs in a 4cylinder? It only has 98hp.

I honestly like the size. As a work truck it fits the gas mileage bill.

If you need a CB like I do at work expect a lot of electrical noise. I believe a lot of it is from the electrical fuel pump but the electrical noise is very bad.

TOO SMALL AND TOO SLOW
By DRAY15

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

It has no interior space and no power whatsoever. I think my lawnmower is more powerful than this thing.

The tailgate, only thing that you could actually rely on, off the whole truck.

More interior space for taller drivers (I am 6'2" tall), more powerful, more torque, and better clutch system.

awesome reliable truck
By woods

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am sad that I had to get rid of it. The only problem, too little. I loved it!

I felt safe and it is reliable.

none