Used 1994 Ford Ranger XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

A 16 Year Old's Dream
By bigcuntry

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck handed down to me from my dad, who has had it from 1996. He bought it from a private owner with 20k +/- , with the cruise control already not functioning. This has not bothered me though, I put about 30+ miles a day driving to school and back. My MPG stands at about 18-19 city, 22-23 hwy with the 3.0 V6. There have been no major issues with the truck, just routine maintenance, such as oil, brakes,fluid levels, etc. There is a oil leak at the universal joint, but its not major. at 110k, It is still going strong and I do not intend for it to quit today, or for that matter, a long time.

Fuel mileage, The "get in and go" attitude it possesses, low maintenance cost, reliable as any toyota.

sluggish takeoff, no room for more than 2 full grown people(I fit 5 16 year old friends with me in there, last time I'll do that!)

Avoid the 2.3!
By superbird_71

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought truck from original owner, now has 278,000 miles on it. Burns no oil. Idles rough, check engine light pops up at random, has electrical problems - if you turn the wipers on they don't turn back off. 2.3 has no power at all and gets lousy gas mileage - 20 mpg average, even with the five-speed. It has 8 incredibly hard-to-change spark plugs - why 8 spark plugs on the 4 cylinder? rear spring hangers rusted off, even though there is not a spot of rust on the body.

extended cab kinda nice, but i'm not sure how i'd ever get a normal sized person in the jump seats, body styling nice

Have to reach for the shifter - needs moved back toward the seat some. Cup holders are in a weird spot.

Never stops
By -stanky

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

So good. I love the power it has off the start, after popping into second you're gone. It's definitely the most comfortable ride, super smooth like butter.

The powerful 4.0 V6. Bucket seats. Extended cab.

Not so faulty A/C compressor. stronger bed, (dents easily)

My Ranger in review
By Bruce

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I first took possession of my 1994 Ford Ranger XLT on 3/3/04. Overall, the truck has been quite reliable. In the almost 2 years I've had it, I have replaced the starter, idler pulley, fan belt, (broke when pulley seized), and rear leaf spring mounts. It currently has a power steering leak, and needs brakes, that's it. The total amount for all my repairs is about $300 over 2 years; not bad for an 11 year old truck.

The 4 liter V6 and the 5 speed manual transmission provide plenty of pep on the highway, and I really enjoying driving it. The extended cab and bucket seats allow my taller passengers to stretch their legs, while a guy my size can still drive.

The interior of the vehicle could be improved as follows: console between the seats, dual outlet defroster (mine is center output), and more lighter/power outlets. Exterior: tie downs in the bed (if any) are obscured by the bedliner.

If you live out of the city
By Hank Jr

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck in Feb. '05 with 179,800 miles, after I got my license. I'm not really a truck person but it was the only thing my dad would let me drive for insurance purposes (the insurance is kinda cheap even with full coverage). After driving it a month I had to get the brakes checked; turns out it was nothing, no major problems. I worked at Six Flags which is about 20-30 minute drive from my house. With the 3.0 engine you don't get much pick up until 2nd gear. Not for long trip, after 4 hours of driving brakes smoke when stopped even if you don't use them that much.

I really don't have a favorite feature.

More power in the engine, better fuel economy -- I only average 19 mpg.