1994 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
A 16 Year Old's Dream
By bigcuntry on 12/14/09 18:27 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck handed down to me from my dad, who has had it from 1996. He bought it from a private owner with 20k +/- , with the cruise control already not functioning. This has not bothered me though, I put about 30+ miles a day driving to school and back. My MPG stands at about 18-19 city, 22-23 hwy with the 3.0 V6. There have been no major issues with the truck, just routine maintenance, such as oil, brakes,fluid levels, etc. There is a oil leak at the universal joint, but its not major. at 110k, It is still going strong and I do not intend for it to quit today, or for that matter, a long time.

Avoid the 2.3!
By superbird_71 on 09/07/08 22:41 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought truck from original owner, now has 278,000 miles on it. Burns no oil. Idles rough, check engine light pops up at random, has electrical problems - if you turn the wipers on they don't turn back off. 2.3 has no power at all and gets lousy gas mileage - 20 mpg average, even with the five-speed. It has 8 incredibly hard-to-change spark plugs - why 8 spark plugs on the 4 cylinder? rear spring hangers rusted off, even though there is not a spot of rust on the body.

Never stops
By -stanky on 07/02/08 21:10 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

So good. I love the power it has off the start, after popping into second you're gone. It's definitely the most comfortable ride, super smooth like butter.

My Ranger in review
By Bruce on 12/22/05 21:27 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I first took possession of my 1994 Ford Ranger XLT on 3/3/04. Overall, the truck has been quite reliable. In the almost 2 years I've had it, I have replaced the starter, idler pulley, fan belt, (broke when pulley seized), and rear leaf spring mounts. It currently has a power steering leak, and needs brakes, that's it. The total amount for all my repairs is about $300 over 2 years; not bad for an 11 year old truck.

If you live out of the city
By Hank Jr on 09/25/05 14:44 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck in Feb. '05 with 179,800 miles, after I got my license. I'm not really a truck person but it was the only thing my dad would let me drive for insurance purposes (the insurance is kinda cheap even with full coverage). After driving it a month I had to get the brakes checked; turns out it was nothing, no major problems. I worked at Six Flags which is about 20-30 minute drive from my house. With the 3.0 engine you don't get much pick up until 2nd gear. Not for long trip, after 4 hours of driving brakes smoke when stopped even if you don't use them that much.

Hate to admit it's this good...
By Convert on 09/15/05 14:05 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've owned and been around full size GM trucks for a long time - a true Chevy guy. But I needed a truck (1st house rehab) recently, and couldn't afford a new one. A friend of mine offered me his old 1994 Ranger with 150K on it for cheap money, so I figured "why not?". Well, I'm glad I did! This comfortable little truck (2wd Extended Cab 4.0 5-speed) runs beautifully, is great on gas (20/24), has no problem hauling whatever I need, and has no rust after 150K of Rhode Island winters (road salt galore). It does need an Idle Air Valve, and it probably needs a new A/C compressor, but it has been good to its previous (original) owner, and it's forced me to change my opinion of Ford.

Great litle truck
By jaxmo on 05/19/05 00:12 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used in 1996. It had 15,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has 117,000. This truck has done everything I asked of it and gave me nine years of trouble free service. The only items I replaced were the battery, brakes, temp gauge sender, tires and a $15 sensor. Still has original clutch, starter, exhaust, etc. Still not a spot of rust on it (Cleveland area) Parked in the same spot every day and not one drop of oil on the floor. The most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I still like driving it. Can't say enough good things about it.

My Baby
By jogle on 05/02/05 23:42 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My first and only vehicle. Bought in 1997 with 9K. The seats fit me perfectly, I am 6 ft 240lb. I have 2 kids and four of us can ride fairly comfortably (my wife is 5'2" 115lb). I have changed the brakes, rotors, plugs and plug wires. Daily driver on average 30 miles per day. Another kid on the way may mean I have to purchase another vehicle. No matter what, I will not sell my Ranger.

Only 1 regret
By jcd302 on 02/11/05 21:55 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is my 3rd Ranger and my last one lasted to 182,000 miles. I sold it 4.5 years ago and he is STILL driving it. I have HAD to do nothing to her, but I did convert the 3.08 open differential to Traction-Loc & added a trailer towing package. 146,200 miles and only done 1 wheel bearing. I get 22mpg in the summer and 17/19 in the winter. I love it and will buy my 4th Ranger when this one finally dies, but my 9 year old daughter is planning on it being around when she gets her license, so maybe in 7 more years. I should have over 300k on it by then. Ford only rates it at 1200# towing capacity, but I have towed my 2000# pop-up camper with no problems and even taken a trailer w/ 2800# of trash to the dump!

Great truck
By David on 01/05/05 11:58 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Reliability has been excellant. Very convenient getting objects out of bed and easy to get in and out. While my new 150 Supercrew is more fun to drive on the highway, the Ranger is a better everyday useage vehicle.