Used 1994 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Can't argue with it!
By smoo4asw

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

We were expecting to pay $275 to get the fuel injectors cleaned out but someone at our local AutoZone showed us a quicker and arguably better way to get it done. We put one can of Sea Foam in the gas tank and another directly into the engine through one of the vacuum lines, and then we went from having 6.75% of the total emissions being CO to only 0.02% after the smoke completely cleared! It hasn't done that good since it was new, and back then we didn't need emissions testing. This truck is such a faithful servant to us that we would rather repair or replace whatever might go wrong than start all over again. Not having a car payment is tops.

No car payment since we paid it off and we have not taken out a title loan on it ever. The ultimate level of toughness displayed over 20 years. It's so easy to get the emissions test passed on it when it's happy. It doesn't burn gas to excess like our V8 F-150 from 9 years later. Plus, when we bought it, we got it for less than $10,000! That's something that no new car can claim today and only a couple since we bought ye olde Ranger.

Please go back to making these so that people who don't need a backseat but need something that is both reliable and fuel efficient can not have to waste their money. For people who need a backseat bring back the Extended Cab models. There really isn't anything I don't like as long as the whole family doesn't need to go somewhere in it (we bought an F-150 because of that and it's equally rock solid.)

Very Suprised
By Eric

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Overall this truck has surprised me. I'm a Chevy lover and yet i like this truck. Very comfortable and great on gas. Despite i have the two wheel drive version it love the mud. No major problems with it. 189,000 miles and still going strong.

Easy to work on 4cy! Full size spare tire.

More power for the 4cylinder engine

Best Car
By Arie_28

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

this is my first car and its the best. I bought it froma mechanic friend whom the second owner had sold it to him because it neededa new trnasmission. Since i got it i love it. Have neverhd a problem and it runs strong. Haveing it standard is great. I will mssit when i gt my second car. But i highly sujest it to all

Entire car

Just Plain FUN!!
By TrueBlueFord

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this little truck to do some light hauling and running about. It is the 2.3 engine with a 5 speed and although it won't set the world on fire powerwise, it will cruise with traffic on the interstate at 75mph with no sweat and in town is just fine. It runs perfect and handles great, especially the way it turns (real tight) and has absolutely NO squeaks, rattles or noises. Rust free and the paint is still shiney. Cranks right up and is eager to go. The A/C will freeze your jaw off and the defroster works fast! Great brakes and suspension. I totally love to drive it and actually take it out more than my new Explorer with the 4.0. The 8 plugs is because the engine is a semi-hemi design.

Fun to drive and very agile around town. Gas mileage is good at around 24mpg overall. Good looking design and love the size when parking. Tough, simple and cheap to keep. The engine compartment will easily accept a 5.0 V- 8 and there are kits on the market, thats next! Above all else...it's a FORD!

Easier seatbelt functions and locations. Needs a power point access for 12volt as the lighter in the ashtray is not easily reachable for cellphone chargers. More glove compartment space. Of course more power would be nice out of the 4 banger but its not a race truck!

A 16 Year Old's Dream
By bigcuntry

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck handed down to me from my dad, who has had it from 1996. He bought it from a private owner with 20k +/- , with the cruise control already not functioning. This has not bothered me though, I put about 30+ miles a day driving to school and back. My MPG stands at about 18-19 city, 22-23 hwy with the 3.0 V6. There have been no major issues with the truck, just routine maintenance, such as oil, brakes,fluid levels, etc. There is a oil leak at the universal joint, but its not major. at 110k, It is still going strong and I do not intend for it to quit today, or for that matter, a long time.

Fuel mileage, The "get in and go" attitude it possesses, low maintenance cost, reliable as any toyota.

sluggish takeoff, no room for more than 2 full grown people(I fit 5 16 year old friends with me in there, last time I'll do that!)