1994 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Very Suprised
By Eric on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Overall this truck has surprised me. I'm a Chevy lover and yet i like this truck. Very comfortable and great on gas. Despite i have the two wheel drive version it love the mud. No major problems with it. 189,000 miles and still going strong.

Best Car
By Arie_28 on 05/10/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

this is my first car and its the best. I bought it froma mechanic friend whom the second owner had sold it to him because it neededa new trnasmission. Since i got it i love it. Have neverhd a problem and it runs strong. Haveing it standard is great. I will mssit when i gt my second car. But i highly sujest it to all

Just Plain FUN!!
By TrueBlueFord on 02/08/10 19:44 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this little truck to do some light hauling and running about. It is the 2.3 engine with a 5 speed and although it won't set the world on fire powerwise, it will cruise with traffic on the interstate at 75mph with no sweat and in town is just fine. It runs perfect and handles great, especially the way it turns (real tight) and has absolutely NO squeaks, rattles or noises. Rust free and the paint is still shiney. Cranks right up and is eager to go. The A/C will freeze your jaw off and the defroster works fast! Great brakes and suspension. I totally love to drive it and actually take it out more than my new Explorer with the 4.0. The 8 plugs is because the engine is a semi-hemi design.

A 16 Year Old's Dream
By bigcuntry on 12/14/09 18:27 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had this truck handed down to me from my dad, who has had it from 1996. He bought it from a private owner with 20k +/- , with the cruise control already not functioning. This has not bothered me though, I put about 30+ miles a day driving to school and back. My MPG stands at about 18-19 city, 22-23 hwy with the 3.0 V6. There have been no major issues with the truck, just routine maintenance, such as oil, brakes,fluid levels, etc. There is a oil leak at the universal joint, but its not major. at 110k, It is still going strong and I do not intend for it to quit today, or for that matter, a long time.

A recalll that needs to happen
By Bub Cooper on 11/24/09 04:33 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have only owned this 4x4 a short time but very dissatisfied. When putting in 4x4 I hear a growling and clunking. After reading many reviews they still have problems with auto hubs, relays and 4x4 motor on transfer case. The truck is very uncomfotable to drive but has alot of power with the V6 engine. This truvk is a 94 and you would think Ford would have fixed the problems with the 4x4 by now. By the way it burns a court of oil every two fill ups but doesn't leak a drop. I'm selling this piece of sh.t

I made the right choice.
By anonymous on 03/15/09 02:55 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned this vehicle since it was new. It has been outstanding in reliability. When I purchased this truck I had one thing in mind and that was long term ownership. This truck has not let me down. Compared to today's newer trucks and cars with so many creature comforts yes this truck looks a little aged, but I do not plan to give this thing up for anything. As long as it runs and is reliable I will drive it daily. Even when I finally do purchase a new vehicle I will probably keep this as a second car. Of course this is not a vehicle for everyone but for a person who mostly drives alone this is great. 195,000 and still runs great with no rust. Has never seen road salt.

A truck for all-time
By Hedgehog437 on 12/20/08 20:45 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck from a pal with 11,000 miles on it in 1995. It's loaded; 4.0L V-6, PS/PB/AC/cruise/tilt/Captains chairs, the works. I now have 74,000 miles on it and it runs like it's brand new. My wife loves it because its big enough to haul her annual landscaping supplies, but small enough for her to be comfortable driving. People still offer me hard cash for this little gem, but I couldn't replace it for under $20K. It gets about 20mpg consistently, the A/C will freeze you out, and it's tough! This would be a perfect truck for someone who doesn't need to tow large trailers, etc.

Micheal Myers of trucks--just won't die.
By Lil Mule on 10/19/08 11:54 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new in Feb of 95, and haven't looked back since. 335,234 miles (original engine and tranny) it's safe to say this truck has paid for itself three times over. With only two clutches replaced (working on my third) and regular maintainence, this truck has never given me a problem- -even after smashing a full grown deer, two rear-end collisions and a steel reinforced pole that inconspicuously jump out in front of me. All this, and doesn't drip any oil.

Avoid the 2.3!
By superbird_71 on 09/07/08 22:41 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought truck from original owner, now has 278,000 miles on it. Burns no oil. Idles rough, check engine light pops up at random, has electrical problems - if you turn the wipers on they don't turn back off. 2.3 has no power at all and gets lousy gas mileage - 20 mpg average, even with the five-speed. It has 8 incredibly hard-to-change spark plugs - why 8 spark plugs on the 4 cylinder? rear spring hangers rusted off, even though there is not a spot of rust on the body.

The best truck anyone could ever buy
By Gold Ranger on 08/02/08 16:13 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck with 105,000 miles on it just to drive to work and take the trash out. It lacks in the power department, mine has an auto trans and it shifts perfectly. I love the truck. I've taken it to the beach, up the mountains, pulled campers, horse trailers. So far no problems other than the AC had a leak cost like 3.00 to fix. Would recomend to anybody! I would like a console and a seat that laid back a little more.