Amazing Truck, Why Ford stopped making them for Americans I don't know...
By countrydriven on
1993 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB
I purchased this vehicle as my 1st the summer of last year. The truck itself is truly one of a kind (rare with 4x4, automatic, flare-side & 3.0) and I was really amazed when it popped up at a dealer a mile from home. Initially there were a host of issues but Ford's engineering made the problems easy to fix. The previous owner had installed the rear shoes out of order causing the truck to not have rear brakes or emergency brakes. This also warped the front brakes in the process. Because of these issues I was able to haggle the truck down to 3200$. The brake job cost me 80$ for everything via rockauto and a tune up was another 80$ too. Truck has 220k miles, on org. Eng&trans w/10k on tune/brak
Favorite Features
A few of my favorite features include the overall outstanding reliability. The previous owners obviously neglected my ranger in certain aspects causing inevitable issues. After a full fluid flush (differentials, motor oil, tranny,transfer,radiator & brake bleed) along with tune-up (all filters,ignition & throttle body cleaning) the truck gets about 22mpg average with synthetics & motorcraft replacement parts. This truck is used quiet often at my job (church camp) to haul 2-3k loads of garbage through mud. Does a great job when dropped into 4wd low! Interior is very rugged and roomy enough for me although I am 6' 2".
Suggested Improvements
Stock stereo speakers stink, replaced them with pioneers in doors & kickers in the back & can shake all my mirrors with stock head-unit. Splash mirrors look pathetic IMHO. The installation of 07+ mirrors drastically improve the appearance. I'm going to lift & install a 5.0 in it when I reach my $ goal. Why ford never had an option for the 5.0 in the ranger is beyond me. The 3.0 is gutless yet bullet proof. "It's a v6 with the gas milage of a v8 & the power on a i4." Lol but other than that perfect truck. Ford needs to reintroduce a truly affordable, efficient, small (108" wb) truck back into America. Not everybody wants the larger "better" f150.