1993 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Not Many Compaints
By redranger on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Overall it has been a good truck. It has taken a royal beating and keeps on going. Only problems have been that I lost the cruise control at about 85,000 miles and have to replace the brakeswitch about every six months. The transmission is about shot, but that is to be expected after 125,000. Oh-ya and the AC died last year. It has served its perpose and I will miss it as soon as I can get rid of it.

Amazing
By Regan on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Vehicle has 218,000 miles. Oil changed approx every 5,000 miles. Still getting approx 28 mpg. Good rust resistance. Tows a horse trailer, not well, but it gets the job done. A work horse.

What a piece of junk
By Paul the Ranger Hate on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This truck has got to be in the running for the worst vehicle I have ever owned! The 2.3 L 4 cylinder doesn't provide enough power to get this thing out of its own way. The transmission routinely grinds going into 2nd and that's with a new clutch. The thing is reasonably reliable, but it's miserable to drive due to the lack of power. I have lost track of how many times the rotors have been cut and yet they're warped again within a couple of months. I have other Fords and am quite satisfied with them, but this Ranger is a dog. Avoid it if you have a chance.

Great Truck
By KK on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck with 76,000 miles know it has 84,321 miles. It is a great truck the only problems I have had is the Master and Slave fails but o'well I is great off-road even you know it has 4 cylinder. It is still is a powerful engine.

THE truck
By jlg2525 on 05/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Ranger is extremely reliable. I'm not a college student and I learned how to drive a standard on this truck, and it STILL works great - 90,000+ miles.

Can't kill this truck
By Boe123 on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

It seems the more you work a Ford to death the longer it lasts. After laying to rest my older Ford Ranger diesel I purchased my stripped down 4 cylinder long bed in 1993. After severly beating on this truck with my needs and others it is still going strong in 2002. Other than changing the clutch and routing maitenance it is still going strong. Don't baby these trucks. They can take it.

Fantastic Truck - Sad Former Owner
By Mayhem on 03/15/02 18:47 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This review is actually a post ownership review. I owned my Ranger from 1993 to 2000 (87,000 miles), and I must say that it was the best vehicle I've owned to date. The only reason I parted ways with it was because of the birth of my first child, and we needed a more practical second vehicle. I can't say enough about this truck. All that it requires from you as an owner is routine maintenance. I put my truck through nearly every imaginable combination of use and weather and it never once failed me. Never needed a major repair... actually it never needed a repair of any kind, just replacement of wear and tear parts like brakes. I miss this truck.

1993 Ford Range XLT - Owned Since New
By elr- Cedar Rapids on 03/04/02 14:07 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck new in 1993. Since purchasing it, the only semi major repair has been the optional replacement of the throw out bearing went out after 4 years. The truck just had it's first new set of spark plugs installed at 84,000 miles. The only complaint has been the rapid wearing of front tires. And an ABS light that went on, (and has stayed on) in 1996. The body is still in great shape with no rust. The paint looks as good as new and the interior has no signs of wear.