Used 1993 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

First Truck Owned
By Bob Sass

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased the vehicle in September of 93 and it is still running strong. I drive 70 miles everyday and haul my dogs on the weekend, so the truck gets little down time. The vehicle is scheduled for it's first brake job in one week and has logged over 208,000 miles, mostly highway. The original exhaust system has a small rattle where the catalatic converter broke a weld on the shield last week, so the vehicle has costed well below the average. Outside of the normal oil changes and tire replacements, this truck has been major repair free, and Iam excited about that aspect.

Favorite Features

My favorite has to be the comfort of the seats and ease and placement of the accessories. Everything is at your finger tips with little eyes off the road time.

Suggested Improvements

My only suggestions would be to improve the gas mileage, 18-20 mpg average is more like a big truck than a small vehicle. It has been in that range since day one. The other area is have a better hill climbing capacity. Even on the interstate any small rise in the road will slow down the vehicle

One of a Kind
By Moore

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have this to say about my Ranger. They don't make them like they used to. This truck is the most solid thing I've ever owned. I was only 20 when I bought it and I was a little afraid to jump into a new truck that had totally been changed from the previous year. Best $10,270 I've ever spent. Rangers RULE the light truck world! I plan on rebuilding it from the ground up and driving it until I can drive no more.

Favorite Features

suspension, handling, and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

A little more horse power and torque. Maybe 15-20 more.

I'll drive it until the wheels fall off.
By Susan

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new nearly 15 years ago and put every mile on it myself. It will turn to 00000 again for the 2nd time soon. I've only had to do regular maintenance with one or two rare exceptions over the last 15 years. This is an amazing little truck & still looks great. My car guy tells me I should easily get another 5 years out of it, if not more. Mileage is what they are advertising for "fuel efficient" trucks & SUVs right now. My sister keeps trying to get me to buy a new car so my young niece can have this truck. That says it all.

Favorite Features

The whole package. I would have loved a sunroof, but I really can't complain.

440000 miles and still going strong
By ranger lover

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been an awesome truck. I now have over 440,000 miles on it and still drive it everyday with no problem. I have installed two clutches, 2 water pumps, air conditioning, and 2 alternators. Not bad for many years and miles of use. Nothing major and never any engine work.

O.K. vehicle
By Somewhat Satisfied

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I've had my Ford Ranger 4X4 for almost a year and a half now and it has been ok to me. The engine, even though its a 93, still runs well, just a little rough on idling (probably from cheap gas and the ethanol they've started adding to fuel). It is reliable in the sense that it will move me around, but there is a serious lack of space. I'm 6'0" and I feel like I'm in a clown car when I drive. There's no way to lean the seats back enough. I enjoy driving my truck but I have to say that there are plenty of problems running around in it. I take care of my first car, but there's an oil leak I can't fix, an a/c that will cost half what the truck is worth to fix (after compressor), and a bad fuel guage

Favorite Features

Really fun to drive, perfect window height to rest your elbows on when you got the window open. Indoor button to activate 4x4 makes the slick roads so much nicer when it rains without having to go mess with the tires

Suggested Improvements

An easier clutch! I know it's a truck but still, if you're stuck in traffic the push from the clutch pedal will literally bruise the bottom of your feet! Definitely needs some room inside for the driver, I feel squashed when I'm alone in a truck and that is just wrong.