Used 1993 Ford Ranger XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

17 years old and still going strong
By leftatdunkirk

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this 1993 Ranger from a friend for only $200 and have put $2,000 into repairs, including a new transmission. The truck runs great and has only a few issues. Gas mileage is OK but not great, and the clutch is pretty hard to depress. Other than that, it is great little truck for moving stuff around and saving on delivery charges. Overall, we are glad we acquired this truck!

Favorite Features

Reliable. It is a truck. The 30' skid marks in our grass from pulling out on a wet day are pretty cool.

Suggested Improvements

Cab is SMALL and rear wheels often loose traction in the rain.

Will probably never get rid of it
By zephyr

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck used fresh out of college with 16,500 miles on it. It now has over 140,000 and I have loved every mile. Not going to win any races but still a lot of fun to drive. Hated to hear Ford was going to discontinue the Ranger! Great truck for 20 somethings! Don't drive it much now that I have a family but get it out as much as I can. Oil, tires, and brakes are all that I have had to replace. Even the interior still looks good. With proper care it should be good for several hundred thousand more miles.

Favorite Features

Looks, MPG, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

A little under powered, passenger space.

Reliable truck
By G.Nacin

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Truck is small but powerful - this one has the V6 engine so it has a lot of get up and go for a small truck. Has manual transmission which tends to feel 'sloppy' with the gear selector. Had to replace engine two years ago due to oil leak and engine freezing up - still cheaper to replace engine with rebuilt one (was about $3600 to replace) than buy new vehicle. Runs fine again...good work truck. Gets about 22 mpg.

Favorite Features

Like the size - not a huge truck so you don't feel like you're driving some monstrosity on the road. Get the V6 engine for the power. Came with great audio system, too.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission - improve the feel of the gear shifter.

One of a Kind
By Moore

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have this to say about my Ranger. They don't make them like they used to. This truck is the most solid thing I've ever owned. I was only 20 when I bought it and I was a little afraid to jump into a new truck that had totally been changed from the previous year. Best $10,270 I've ever spent. Rangers RULE the light truck world! I plan on rebuilding it from the ground up and driving it until I can drive no more.

Favorite Features

suspension, handling, and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

A little more horse power and torque. Maybe 15-20 more.

Great Truck
By steve

1993 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Ranger new in 1993. I now have over 200K miles. I learned how to drive a manual with it and it still has the original clutch and tranny. I do most of the routine maintenance myself. Most of it is fairly easy except for the spark plugs (the engineers must have had very small hands). The only real problem I have had was the computer would randomly open the fuel pump relay. New computer, problem solved. The engine doesn't leak oil, but I've been going through some coolant. It doesn't show up in the oil, so it must not be a real problem. The gas mileage isn't as good as when I got it, but it's still better than most other trucks (20-25 avg).

Favorite Features

Solid engine and tranny. If you take care of it it will last a long time. Ice cold ac. very reliable truck.

Suggested Improvements

No tach. The 4-cylinder will keep on going, but you won't get there really fast. More cab room especially on passenger side. Has stiff clutch.