1992 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Best small truck
By mycobrars on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Excellent truck would buy another, I"m sure I'll make 200,000 mile no problem. Great on gas.

It's been a great truck
By Coby on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I have had only two mechanical problems with it in 10 years. AC compressor and front locking hubs. The 2.9 liter 6 has always had enough power, and I do not understand why anyone needs the 4 liter engine. I get 22 mpg on the highway. (Automatic transmission). I have loaded this truck down on several occasions with no problem. Towing 2000 lbs you don't even know it's back there. I consistantly drive 5 hours at a time in it and my 6'2" frame gets a bit stiff, but no permanent damage. Other than change the fluids, I haven't done a thing to the engine in 95000 miles.

okey dokey...except man. trans, AC
By boobi on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I wanted a economical, low maintence rear wheel drive trk. majot maint at 165K, new frt end, all (radiator ect) new cooling system, 4 ac systems have died(Seems poor desgin, get extd warr for ac)lacks pwr for long hwy drives, mechanic and i did not realize that pulling out the(for clutch replacmnt) stick shift made it seem like transmission was dead, despite putting it back in. We were about to get a new trans before a better mechanic reinserted it the right way. gd brks,gd elect sys,ok paint, fluid leaks are prblm. Spare tire just rots on holder. little noisy,

Good commuter, long bed
By L.A.Pierce on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Truck has generally been good.Passenger window burst while under warranty, oil pan gasket slipped and need to be replaced, rear brakes exploded (spring?), easy fix, door pilar is rusting at base, fuel gauge is not working, original tires lasted a long time. Don't dare to use the spare as permanent tire since carrier cut into side of tire.

92 Ford Ranger XLT
By TedM on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had 162K before manual trans failed due to rubber boot that slowly leaked trans oil. Must check your trans oil periodically. Otherwise, the 3L engine is powerful and very reliable. Only did regular maintenance on it. Only install OEM fuel pump and not aftermarket. Try to cut thru bed or take off bed to access pump.

92 Ranger
By DAO on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger STX 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought it at 92000 miles, have driven it to 130300 miles and only had to fix a small problem with the fan, an exhaust leak at the muffler, and at 129000 miles the manual shifter is getting stiff. I hope the newer models are as good since I am sure to buy my 4th Ranger.

Built Ford Tough
By milbyz on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This little truck has been one tough cookie. I have abused this vehicle in everyway possible yet it continues to run like a new one. A/C still works like new. Gas mileage poor. Body looking a little rough. All in all I love this truck and it will be hard to part with it when it finally goes to the ford graveyard.

Comfort without Guts
By Merlot on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been a good one. The paint will chip, the thing is gutless on hills, but can't beat it for a commuter vehicle

review of 92 ranger
By shane stratton on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger 2dr Extended Cab SB

transmission has went out three times i recomend not buying one

1992 FORD RANGER XLT LB EXPERIENCE
By JAMES BLIZZARD on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

1. OIL PAN HAD BEEN DROPPED AND NEW GASKET INSTALLED WITH EXCESS GASKET SEALANT WHICH WAS SUCKED UP INTO THE OIL PUMP WHICH REQUIRED A NEW ENGINE AT APPROX 10000 MILES. 2. REPAIR AND REPAINTING OF ONE SQUARE FOOT AREA WITH PAINT THAT DID NOT MATCH CAUSING EYESORE. 3. INSUFFICIENT POWER OF BIG 4-CYLINDER ENGINE MAKES IT UNSAFE FOR PASSING.