Used 1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Recommended
By tabbies on 12/21/11 16:24 PM (PST)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This is my dad's ranger. He fxed it up so it's like new, had an enourmous amount of problems(refused to start, worn everything, severe loss of fuel efficiency/performance etc, etc, etc, etc,) Now the brakes work like a charm, brand new engine, trans, tires, etc. main problems=BODY ROLL IS INSANE, my dad could not drive it after a short drive, he had a bad knot in his neck and I drove him home. fuel economy is on avg. 17mpg. you have to keep in the 2-3k rpm band for tiptop perfor/fuel effici. It has decent power. It's a bit loud but I like to hear the engine. overall, if you can find one, and fix it up, buy it. It's a good choice, unless your old and experience frequent joint pains. -_-

a great truck
By k collins on 04/27/10 22:30 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

i am the second owner of this truck.purchased in 1994 with 27,000 miles.have replaced tires,belts,hoses,and brakes.a/c went out on it at 150,000 miles.5 speed tranny went out on it at 170,000 miles.replaced tranny and still kept on driving it.it has been a very reliable truck.this truck still has the factory ford clutch in it at 233,000 and still works great.on long distance driving with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed it gets 30 miles to the gallon on the open road.has been a very reliable truck with excellent gas mileage.would love to have another that has been as reliable and built as tough as this truck.

Tough little truck
By myrating2008 on 06/23/08 11:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab S 2dr Regular Cab SB

My Dad bought this truck new in 1992 in Washington state. It's been all over the US from Arizona to Ohio. And from Georgia to Ohio back numerous times. Now the truck is mine as my dad bought a new Ford Ranger. We live in Ohio with some pretty bad winters. Even on the coldest of days truck runs great. I will never buy anything other than a Ford!

Love my man's truck
By D Havens on 04/22/07 11:44 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

We've had 2 Mazda Proteges and a Toyota Sienna in the time since we bought this truck, and the truck has easily outlasted them all. Granted, the red paint has faded to a funny dark pink, but it has never been in the shop for any major repairs. And, no, we don't work on it at home. My Sienna, which cost more than 3 times the amount, has cost me at least the price of the truck in repairs. Thank you, Ford, for a simple, no- frills, dependable product.

Satisfied original owner - 14 years
By atnfmc on 02/10/06 23:23 PM (PST)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This Ford Ranger is my second in a row. I purchased this one because it has air conditioning and I need it here in South Florida. I have maintained it on schedule and have garaged it whenever possible. The only large expense has been the clutch. Because of the position of the slave cylinder it is impossible to service the slave without removing the housing for the master cylinder, too. So, clutch work is expensive. All else is original and works well.

Ford Ranger XLT 4WD 2 DR. LB w/4.0 V6
By Kenny Barker on 04/12/05 07:01 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I kove this truck.Great gas mileage and the engine has a lot of zip.Very fun to drive.

patricksrating1171
By paatrick on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Custom 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have only had this truck a couple of months, and I am 3rd or 4th party, but it is still in excellent condition, except for a few small scratches, and it runs great! I told my wife I wouldn't have another Ford after the '94 Taurus, except maby a truck, and this little truck is great so far.

It's been a great truck
By Coby on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I have had only two mechanical problems with it in 10 years. AC compressor and front locking hubs. The 2.9 liter 6 has always had enough power, and I do not understand why anyone needs the 4 liter engine. I get 22 mpg on the highway. (Automatic transmission). I have loaded this truck down on several occasions with no problem. Towing 2000 lbs you don't even know it's back there. I consistantly drive 5 hours at a time in it and my 6'2" frame gets a bit stiff, but no permanent damage. Other than change the fluids, I haven't done a thing to the engine in 95000 miles.

Good commuter, long bed
By L.A.Pierce on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Truck has generally been good.Passenger window burst while under warranty, oil pan gasket slipped and need to be replaced, rear brakes exploded (spring?), easy fix, door pilar is rusting at base, fuel gauge is not working, original tires lasted a long time. Don't dare to use the spare as permanent tire since carrier cut into side of tire.

92 Ranger
By DAO on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Ranger Regular Cab STX 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought it at 92000 miles, have driven it to 130300 miles and only had to fix a small problem with the fan, an exhaust leak at the muffler, and at 129000 miles the manual shifter is getting stiff. I hope the newer models are as good since I am sure to buy my 4th Ranger.