Used 1992 Ford Ranger XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

a great truck
By k collins

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

i am the second owner of this truck.purchased in 1994 with 27,000 miles.have replaced tires,belts,hoses,and brakes.a/c went out on it at 150,000 miles.5 speed tranny went out on it at 170,000 miles.replaced tranny and still kept on driving it.it has been a very reliable truck.this truck still has the factory ford clutch in it at 233,000 and still works great.on long distance driving with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed it gets 30 miles to the gallon on the open road.has been a very reliable truck with excellent gas mileage.would love to have another that has been as reliable and built as tough as this truck.

economical to drive and own.comfortable seats.body built very solid for a compact truck.

the 5 speed tranny's seem to wear out at 150,000 miles +.the 5 speed uses automatic tranny fluid and should have had heavy weight oil in it.i put oil in the tranny when i replaced it and have had no problems so far.

Love my man's truck
By D Havens

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

We've had 2 Mazda Proteges and a Toyota Sienna in the time since we bought this truck, and the truck has easily outlasted them all. Granted, the red paint has faded to a funny dark pink, but it has never been in the shop for any major repairs. And, no, we don't work on it at home. My Sienna, which cost more than 3 times the amount, has cost me at least the price of the truck in repairs. Thank you, Ford, for a simple, no- frills, dependable product.

No frills, low cost.

Longer-lasting paint!

Satisfied original owner - 14 years
By atnfmc

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This Ford Ranger is my second in a row. I purchased this one because it has air conditioning and I need it here in South Florida. I have maintained it on schedule and have garaged it whenever possible. The only large expense has been the clutch. Because of the position of the slave cylinder it is impossible to service the slave without removing the housing for the master cylinder, too. So, clutch work is expensive. All else is original and works well.

The little engine sips gas, yet hauls all the junk I need to haul. Also, the 5 speed overdrive allows me to do up to 80 on the highway with no problem. Rear antilock brakes were a bonus for 1992.

Not much interior space for dry hauling. It is not an extended cab. I had to add the bedliner and tie down posts. I have a net in the back for small light loads.

Built Ford Tough
By milbyz

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This little truck has been one tough cookie. I have abused this vehicle in everyway possible yet it continues to run like a new one. A/C still works like new. Gas mileage poor. Body looking a little rough. All in all I love this truck and it will be hard to part with it when it finally goes to the ford graveyard.

towing ability hauling ability reliability

gas mileage body integrity

Love My Truck
By Roger D.

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Ranger in fall of 1991. 10 years later and 78,000 miles I still have two of the original Firestone tires. The only repairs were brakes replaced @ 72,000 and an AC repair @ 55,000. Paint still looks like brand new and it runs and drives like the day I bought it. Very happy and would buy another.

Comfort of the Seats.