Used 1992 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Recommended
By tabbies

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This is my dad's ranger. He fxed it up so it's like new, had an enourmous amount of problems(refused to start, worn everything, severe loss of fuel efficiency/performance etc, etc, etc, etc,) Now the brakes work like a charm, brand new engine, trans, tires, etc. main problems=BODY ROLL IS INSANE, my dad could not drive it after a short drive, he had a bad knot in his neck and I drove him home. fuel economy is on avg. 17mpg. you have to keep in the 2-3k rpm band for tiptop perfor/fuel effici. It has decent power. It's a bit loud but I like to hear the engine. overall, if you can find one, and fix it up, buy it. It's a good choice, unless your old and experience frequent joint pains. -_-

Favorite Features

Easy to park for sure, adequate power, everything basically

Suggested Improvements

I know it is a truck but the roll is a little ... TOO MUCH

a great truck
By k collins

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

i am the second owner of this truck.purchased in 1994 with 27,000 miles.have replaced tires,belts,hoses,and brakes.a/c went out on it at 150,000 miles.5 speed tranny went out on it at 170,000 miles.replaced tranny and still kept on driving it.it has been a very reliable truck.this truck still has the factory ford clutch in it at 233,000 and still works great.on long distance driving with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed it gets 30 miles to the gallon on the open road.has been a very reliable truck with excellent gas mileage.would love to have another that has been as reliable and built as tough as this truck.

Favorite Features

economical to drive and own.comfortable seats.body built very solid for a compact truck.

Suggested Improvements

the 5 speed tranny's seem to wear out at 150,000 miles +.the 5 speed uses automatic tranny fluid and should have had heavy weight oil in it.i put oil in the tranny when i replaced it and have had no problems so far.

My Opinion
By jimmy

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

i bought this 92 very happy with it. used for hauling water since we live in the desert of texas.

Favorite Features

it has a 4 liter engine and it delivers all we need and more

Suggested Improvements

more room under the hood(can't hardly change the spark plugs

Tough little truck
By myrating2008

1992 Ford Ranger S 2dr Regular Cab SB

My Dad bought this truck new in 1992 in Washington state. It's been all over the US from Arizona to Ohio. And from Georgia to Ohio back numerous times. Now the truck is mine as my dad bought a new Ford Ranger. We live in Ohio with some pretty bad winters. Even on the coldest of days truck runs great. I will never buy anything other than a Ford!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. durability of truck

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower out of 4 cyl.

Love my man's truck
By D Havens

1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

We've had 2 Mazda Proteges and a Toyota Sienna in the time since we bought this truck, and the truck has easily outlasted them all. Granted, the red paint has faded to a funny dark pink, but it has never been in the shop for any major repairs. And, no, we don't work on it at home. My Sienna, which cost more than 3 times the amount, has cost me at least the price of the truck in repairs. Thank you, Ford, for a simple, no- frills, dependable product.

Favorite Features

No frills, low cost.

Suggested Improvements

Longer-lasting paint!