Used 1991 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1991 Ford Ranger Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Best Minitruck out there
By FordFan

1991 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Just bought this ranger knowing it had a noisy transmission. Once it came out of the shop I fell in love with it. Easy to park, easy to drive and very quiet (fords always are). Plenty of torque from the 2.9 L V6. Twin I beam front suspension, rock solid and rides like a car down the highway. Don't know about the fuel mileage and really don't care if it only gets mid teens. If you're looking to buy one make sure you get one with the Mazda transmission not the Mitsubishi transmission, as the Mazda is cheaper to rebuild and source parts for. No point in throwing away a good running gas engine, but if i can wear the V6 out i plan on a 4BT cummins swap. Great trucks. Built Ford Tough.

Favorite Features

Handy is every situation. Truck just almost drives itself.

Suggested Improvements

If purchasing a 4WD unit, spend a little and buy manually locking front hubs. Installing these will keep the truck from spinning the front drivetrain until you lock the hubs in, resulting in better fuel mileage. But if you happen to get stuck you will have to get out to lock them in. Small trade-off.

Good truck
By rangerman

1991 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I was very fortunate to get this truck from my friend that was the original owner. It was garage kept and drove only in the city. The XLT package is nice and mine has two-tone paint (light blue top/ light gray bottom).

Favorite Features

The exterior is very nice (no fading) it has a clear coat finish which saved the paint. People try to buy my truck all the time.

Suggested Improvements

Needs 2 cup holders. I bought a console from a 1994 Explorer and replaced the single cup holder. It would be nice if the truck got better gas mileage. I only get 15 mpg with the 4.0 liter V6

263,000 miles, Wow
By NE Oklahoma

1991 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a one owner vehicle. It has 263,000 miles on the original and untouched motor, which was built in Ohio, USA. It still starts easily and goes smoothly at 75 mph. The manual transmission has been difficult to shift at times since 60,000. But, it is still the original transmisssion, having been worked on twice. I just keep changing the oil. Nothing fancy, not synthetic.

Favorite Features

Amazingly reliable.The striped beige seats are nice. I prefer the beige interior of this truck to the black that is common today. The original paint is still shiny, and this thing has sat out in the sun in OK and NM. I wax it, but still...

Suggested Improvements

Easier to shift manual transmission. After 263,000 miles with few problems, I can't think of improvements.

Great pickup!
By Brad Potter

1991 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this Ranger used with 70,000 miles on it. It was a commuter vehicle and also used to haul firewood, gardening supplies, etc. It's been a super vehicle.

Favorite Features

Very quiet ride. You can hear very little road noise. Also very comfortable seating.

keeps on rolling
By La. Coonass

1991 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Custom 2dr Extended Cab SB

213,000 miles with no major and very few minor problems, except a/c not working at present. Starts easily, runs great pulling my boat and hauling all my crap. I've had such good luck with it that I just bought another Ranger. I hate to sell this one. It's running so good that 300,000 seems like it would be no problem. (4 cyl. by the way).

Favorite Features

mileage

Suggested Improvements

mirrors