Used 1991 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Disappointment
By mofarmer

1991 Ford Ranger Custom 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I've owned this 2.3, 4 cyl, 4wd, 5 speed, short bed ranger for 3 months and is nothing to brag about. I have never exceeded 19 mpg and 14.5-15 is common, with a top speed of about 75 and going up most hills, it might lose 5-10 mph even after dropping a gear. The only good for this truck is most parts are still original, other than the steering sector and the mirrors can never stay in place.

truck that wont stop
By will_walk

1991 Ford Ranger S 2dr Regular Cab SB

im 18, father gave me this truck when i was 17 nev failed me milage read apprx. 745,367 mi. love the acceleration of the manual tranny. i can blow most cars off the road.

love the acceleration

power steering, hard to shift at times, handling, rear anti-lock brakes, top speed all need to be improved

Best Minitruck out there
By FordFan

1991 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Just bought this ranger knowing it had a noisy transmission. Once it came out of the shop I fell in love with it. Easy to park, easy to drive and very quiet (fords always are). Plenty of torque from the 2.9 L V6. Twin I beam front suspension, rock solid and rides like a car down the highway. Don't know about the fuel mileage and really don't care if it only gets mid teens. If you're looking to buy one make sure you get one with the Mazda transmission not the Mitsubishi transmission, as the Mazda is cheaper to rebuild and source parts for. No point in throwing away a good running gas engine, but if i can wear the V6 out i plan on a 4BT cummins swap. Great trucks. Built Ford Tough.

Handy is every situation. Truck just almost drives itself.

If purchasing a 4WD unit, spend a little and buy manually locking front hubs. Installing these will keep the truck from spinning the front drivetrain until you lock the hubs in, resulting in better fuel mileage. But if you happen to get stuck you will have to get out to lock them in. Small trade-off.

Good truck
By rangerman

1991 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I was very fortunate to get this truck from my friend that was the original owner. It was garage kept and drove only in the city. The XLT package is nice and mine has two-tone paint (light blue top/ light gray bottom).

The exterior is very nice (no fading) it has a clear coat finish which saved the paint. People try to buy my truck all the time.

Needs 2 cup holders. I bought a console from a 1994 Explorer and replaced the single cup holder. It would be nice if the truck got better gas mileage. I only get 15 mpg with the 4.0 liter V6

263,000 miles, Wow
By NE Oklahoma

1991 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a one owner vehicle. It has 263,000 miles on the original and untouched motor, which was built in Ohio, USA. It still starts easily and goes smoothly at 75 mph. The manual transmission has been difficult to shift at times since 60,000. But, it is still the original transmisssion, having been worked on twice. I just keep changing the oil. Nothing fancy, not synthetic.

Amazingly reliable.The striped beige seats are nice. I prefer the beige interior of this truck to the black that is common today. The original paint is still shiny, and this thing has sat out in the sun in OK and NM. I wax it, but still...

Easier to shift manual transmission. After 263,000 miles with few problems, I can't think of improvements.