1991 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews

1991 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Disappointment
By mofarmer on 05/27/11 22:19 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Ranger Custom 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I've owned this 2.3, 4 cyl, 4wd, 5 speed, short bed ranger for 3 months and is nothing to brag about. I have never exceeded 19 mpg and 14.5-15 is common, with a top speed of about 75 and going up most hills, it might lose 5-10 mph even after dropping a gear. The only good for this truck is most parts are still original, other than the steering sector and the mirrors can never stay in place.

truck that wont stop
By will_walk on 01/16/11 10:30 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Ranger S 2dr Regular Cab SB

im 18, father gave me this truck when i was 17 nev failed me milage read apprx. 745,367 mi. love the acceleration of the manual tranny. i can blow most cars off the road.

Best Minitruck out there
By FordFan on 09/05/10 01:08 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Just bought this ranger knowing it had a noisy transmission. Once it came out of the shop I fell in love with it. Easy to park, easy to drive and very quiet (fords always are). Plenty of torque from the 2.9 L V6. Twin I beam front suspension, rock solid and rides like a car down the highway. Don't know about the fuel mileage and really don't care if it only gets mid teens. If you're looking to buy one make sure you get one with the Mazda transmission not the Mitsubishi transmission, as the Mazda is cheaper to rebuild and source parts for. No point in throwing away a good running gas engine, but if i can wear the V6 out i plan on a 4BT cummins swap. Great trucks. Built Ford Tough.

Good truck
By rangerman on 05/20/08 15:07 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I was very fortunate to get this truck from my friend that was the original owner. It was garage kept and drove only in the city. The XLT package is nice and mine has two-tone paint (light blue top/ light gray bottom).

263,000 miles, Wow
By NE Oklahoma on 03/30/07 22:17 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a one owner vehicle. It has 263,000 miles on the original and untouched motor, which was built in Ohio, USA. It still starts easily and goes smoothly at 75 mph. The manual transmission has been difficult to shift at times since 60,000. But, it is still the original transmisssion, having been worked on twice. I just keep changing the oil. Nothing fancy, not synthetic.

been a great truck
By justin on 07/09/06 18:31 PM (PDT)

1991 Ford Ranger S 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Ranger with 139,000 miles on it from the original owner. At 170,000 the over drive went out in the transmission; had it rebuilt, I've got about $2000 bucks in the truck and have been driving it for 5 years and put almost 100,000 miles on in and it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Its now got over 230,000 miles on it.

Great pickup!
By Brad Potter on 01/21/06 12:13 PM (PST)

1991 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this Ranger used with 70,000 miles on it. It was a commuter vehicle and also used to haul firewood, gardening supplies, etc. It's been a super vehicle.

Invincible
By Ranger on 10/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

i owned a ranger for 2 years and never regretted a minute of it. there simply isnt a better light truck on the market. on road, the handling and power are amazing. the 2.9l has plenty of torque, and the power is trasferred through the road better than most cars. off road, you can put most big trucks to shame. the 4x4 and low range are almost impossible to get stuck in mud snow or trails. accident safety is unreal. i just totaled it by hitting a crown victoria @ 60 then ran into a ditch and flipped 3 times. I walked away w/o a scratch.

keeps on rolling
By La. Coonass on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Ranger Custom 2dr Extended Cab SB

213,000 miles with no major and very few minor problems, except a/c not working at present. Starts easily, runs great pulling my boat and hauling all my crap. I've had such good luck with it that I just bought another Ranger. I hate to sell this one. It's running so good that 300,000 seems like it would be no problem. (4 cyl. by the way).

reliable
By bobby9988 on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Ranger Custom 2dr Regular Cab LB

Only owned it for 2 years. 220,000km on it and have had next to no repairs. Muffler was only problem, body starting to look a little tired but it still gives me no trouble starting, and surviving harsh Canadian winters.