1990 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: Last Ford I'll Own

1990 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

Base Regular Cab Pickup (2.3L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Last Ford I'll Own
By Allen Sackett on

1990 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased the Ranger XLT longbed new in 1990 and wish there had been a lemon law in place at that time (there is now). After a few thousand miles I had to have the dealer install a new rear axle as the old one was being worn in two! I purchased the Ford rust protection. At 270,000 miles it is now pile of rust in spite of regular waxes and washes (it was showing signs of rust at 150,000 miles)! At 133,000 miles: installed rebuilt engine: I have now put more miles into the rebuilt than the factor engine! The check engine light continues to come off in spite of having dealers look at it.

The color choices were nice. I liked the two tone blue/silver exterior. The interior has worn very well. Manual transmission has had no problems.

2.3L 4-cylinder is a wimp. I can only use overdrive downhill with the wind behind me! Lessons learned: buy a Toyota Tacoma and have it Zeibarted. It will last forever.