Used 1990 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

love it!
By titor

1990 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love my little truck!!! 1990 ford Ranger Xlt 2wd. 5 speed. This truck i have fallen in love with. has been well taken care of, i bought the truck 2 years ago. truck now has 200,000+miles and is still strong! i really love the style and everything about it. Great Gas Saver! (2.3L) Power Steering, rear anti-lock brakes, and my favorite...Sunroof!!! really like it and i will keep this truck forever! never been in accident. Love it! Great! Reliable! Gotten my baby over 90mph! great for a lil 2.3L Strong! Comfortable! Fun To Drive! only needed regular maintenece on it :)

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the Sunroof/moonroof it really gives my truck a nice aspect and looks great when opened. Has A/c, power steering, Anti Lock.

Suggested Improvements

Ford Made a good job on this model love it! but paint. is chipping of :( thats the only thing i dont like about it...

The best truck ever
By Miller

1990 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought a 1990 ranger ex-cab in 2005 it had 80,000 original miles on it then. I drove that truck in every terrain think able. And it never quit. It was a real nice rig for the price. I bought it for 2500 and sold it in 2009 for 1900 cash. I over 1000,000 miles on it and it only had a few minor hick-ups. Sold it b/c my family out grew it. But I wish I still had it. Best truck ever

Favorite Features

5 spd manual and manual locking hubs

Suggested Improvements

maybe add a little more storage on the door side panel

1990 Ford ranger 2wd ext cab
By Lucas

1990 Ford Ranger Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. 225,000 miles and only normal wear and tear repairs needed (brakes, oil changes, tires, tune ups and the like).

Favorite Features

Manual transmission. Extended cab.

Suggested Improvements

Forward facing rear seats.

great truck
By joeb.

1990 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Well i bought this truck last summer for 2500 with about 158,000 miles on it. i am just about to pass 165k but it is actually running better now then it was when i got it, i take the thing off roading pretty much every weekend and get stuck very rarely only because of the low front dana 35, but i pulled out a 98 chevy silverado extended cab with a 6 in lift and 35 inch tires. the truck was buried to the frame and i pulled the giant out. It is my daily driver and i love the thing to death even though i had the fuel pump relay go out and had to pay 200 dollars for a tow and had to have a new alternator, but will probably drive the truck till it runs no more

Favorite Features

i love that it is does not have an ifs (independent front suspension

Suggested Improvements

wish it had a solid dana 35 up front

Great little truck
By Josh

1990 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have onwned my Ranger for over a year now after purchasing from the original owner who kept detailed records and never had a major problem. I did put a motor in after an oil pump failure at 180K, I believe due to the limited mileage and it was being driven and waiting 5K miles between oil changes. I also replaced the original clutch at this time. Still gets at least 22 mpg with mosty city driving, but I could improve on that easily. Lacks power (2.3) but will haul small loads and is a joy to drive.

Favorite Features

Mileage, ease to work on, price of parts.

Suggested Improvements

Avoid 2.9 V6 there is a design flaw in the cooling system, but 3.0 and 2.3 are great engines. Also avoid automatics as most of them are prone to failure. Woul prefer a little more room in the truck, and more power out of the 2.3, otherwise good truck for the value.