1990 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Rangers...they run, no matter how ugly it gets.
By stevec81 on 06/19/14 02:16 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this Ranger as an used vehicle in 2003; since then I've put just under 100,000 miles on it. It's a XLT regular cab with a long bed and the 4.0 V6/automatic. While not necessarily in the market for a truck, I needed a vehicle to drive, and it was the right price. For the most part, it is true that these things last forever and that these things are hard to kill. However, unless they are taken care of better than perfectly, they have a tendency to attract dents and rust like a magnet.

love it!
By titor on 09/22/11 02:47 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love my little truck!!! 1990 ford Ranger Xlt 2wd. 5 speed. This truck i have fallen in love with. has been well taken care of, i bought the truck 2 years ago. truck now has 200,000+miles and is still strong! i really love the style and everything about it. Great Gas Saver! (2.3L) Power Steering, rear anti-lock brakes, and my favorite...Sunroof!!! really like it and i will keep this truck forever! never been in accident. Love it! Great! Reliable! Gotten my baby over 90mph! great for a lil 2.3L Strong! Comfortable! Fun To Drive! only needed regular maintenece on it :)

The best truck ever
By Miller on 03/18/10 14:22 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought a 1990 ranger ex-cab in 2005 it had 80,000 original miles on it then. I drove that truck in every terrain think able. And it never quit. It was a real nice rig for the price. I bought it for 2500 and sold it in 2009 for 1900 cash. I over 1000,000 miles on it and it only had a few minor hick-ups. Sold it b/c my family out grew it. But I wish I still had it. Best truck ever

1990 Plain Jane
By steve on 02/02/10 07:51 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought in 2009 with 25,000 original mi. certified on Carfax. This is as basic of a truck as you can get. No power steering or radio. But a great small work truck. Added a CD player myself. Other than oil changes no maintenance has been needed.

1990 Ford ranger 2wd ext cab
By Lucas on 07/31/09 14:03 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. 225,000 miles and only normal wear and tear repairs needed (brakes, oil changes, tires, tune ups and the like).

great truck
By joeb. on 03/08/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Well i bought this truck last summer for 2500 with about 158,000 miles on it. i am just about to pass 165k but it is actually running better now then it was when i got it, i take the thing off roading pretty much every weekend and get stuck very rarely only because of the low front dana 35, but i pulled out a 98 chevy silverado extended cab with a 6 in lift and 35 inch tires. the truck was buried to the frame and i pulled the giant out. It is my daily driver and i love the thing to death even though i had the fuel pump relay go out and had to pay 200 dollars for a tow and had to have a new alternator, but will probably drive the truck till it runs no more

Great little truck
By Josh on 05/15/08 09:26 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have onwned my Ranger for over a year now after purchasing from the original owner who kept detailed records and never had a major problem. I did put a motor in after an oil pump failure at 180K, I believe due to the limited mileage and it was being driven and waiting 5K miles between oil changes. I also replaced the original clutch at this time. Still gets at least 22 mpg with mosty city driving, but I could improve on that easily. Lacks power (2.3) but will haul small loads and is a joy to drive.

Last Ford I'll Own
By Allen Sackett on 06/01/05 10:18 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I purchased the Ranger XLT longbed new in 1990 and wish there had been a lemon law in place at that time (there is now). After a few thousand miles I had to have the dealer install a new rear axle as the old one was being worn in two! I purchased the Ford rust protection. At 270,000 miles it is now pile of rust in spite of regular waxes and washes (it was showing signs of rust at 150,000 miles)! At 133,000 miles: installed rebuilt engine: I have now put more miles into the rebuilt than the factor engine! The check engine light continues to come off in spite of having dealers look at it.

Not for me.
By Eurotuner on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I actually had an '88, but I figured 2 years wouldnt be that much of a difference. Mine was a 5 speed, and it was very difficult to drive. If you want this truck definitely get an automatic. I had the 2.3 liter engine, I would suggest the V6. The truck was pretty tough. But there were so many problems all over the truck, that I put more than it was worth to get fixed. I really wouldn't suggest the truck unless you're just going to use it every once in a while.

Excellent vehicle
By djdrake on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is an excellent vehicle for the age it has on it. It still runs very well and the comfort level is great.