1997 Ford Probe Consumer Review: The Poor Man's Sports Car

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback

The Poor Man's Sports Car
By Kerroj on

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I've always loved sporty-looking cars but felt I could never afford one. I needed a car, so I decided to get a sporty one for the first time in my life. I researched a lot of used vehicles on-line and did a lot of comparison shopping. The car I REALLY wanted was a late-model Mitsubushi 3000GT, but it was too pricey overall compared to a Ford Probe. I settled with a 1997 (the last year they were made) black Probe that I found on a dealer's on-line site. This was in November 2000. This car had only 24K on the odometer. I got it for their internet price (the price was listed at about $2K higher at the dealership!). I was truly amazed when I first test-drove this car, it's fast for a 4-cyl auto!

I immediately fell in love with this car. It handles superbly and is quick off the mark. I love the sporty look and I've gotten several admiring looks from some people when they see it even though mine came without the spoiler.

None really... I've maintained the vehicle at regular intervals and have not had any big on-going problems (unlike some other vehicles I've owned in the past!). The cost of repair is steep though! Although it says Ford on the car, it's really made by Mazda. I'm very happy with it at 98K & counting.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review