Looks can be decieving
By Brian J. on
1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback
Bought my 97 Probe GT with nearly 145k on it the end of January 2009. The same day i drove it off the lot, the dreadful check engine light came on. Drove fine intill i was on my way home 4 days later, car stalled out and i had to pull it to side of road. It has an electrical issue that causes it to stall out and no given time and it will restart when it wants, Mazda specialist couldnt diagnose problem. After stalling on me 50+ times the 350 miles i drove it, it finally died on me on March 1st, i was taking off from my driveway and the timing belt went, killing the engine. I love the car, but Probe GTs are extremely troublesome if they were beaten. Very expensive to maintain. Dont buy Probes.
Favorite Features
interior design, extremely fun to drive, styling, comfort, engine sound and performance (V6 only)
Suggested Improvements
Mazda and Ford should have continued production of these vehicles instead of re-releasing them as the Mercury Cougar. Reliability is VERY poor, maintenance is VERY high cost, this car is NOT for teenagers or people with low income cuz of the costs(im 17 and i have learned the hard way)