Used 1997 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

1997 GTS
By NumberOne

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This is the fourth, and will be the final Ford Probe I have owned. It is a wonderful car with great speed to back up it's sleek looks. It holds its own against new car styling while being many years old; it always runs well; the interior has a sharp design; and the look of the GTS racing stripes adds an incredible touch to the car as a whole. I always get looks driving down the street in this thing. The combination of the Mazda drivetrain and Ford body styling makes for a truly unique vehicle.

I have always liked Probes for their sleek lines, and peppy attitudes, and I really love the way they hug the road. Mine gets so many looks and positive comments about it that people wonder if it is a new car.

Parts are incredibly expensive to replace when problems arise, and having to put premium fuel in it to keep it running properly is a downfall as well. Those are my only real complaints.

The Poor Man's Sports Car
By Kerroj

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I've always loved sporty-looking cars but felt I could never afford one. I needed a car, so I decided to get a sporty one for the first time in my life. I researched a lot of used vehicles on-line and did a lot of comparison shopping. The car I REALLY wanted was a late-model Mitsubushi 3000GT, but it was too pricey overall compared to a Ford Probe. I settled with a 1997 (the last year they were made) black Probe that I found on a dealer's on-line site. This was in November 2000. This car had only 24K on the odometer. I got it for their internet price (the price was listed at about $2K higher at the dealership!). I was truly amazed when I first test-drove this car, it's fast for a 4-cyl auto!

I immediately fell in love with this car. It handles superbly and is quick off the mark. I love the sporty look and I've gotten several admiring looks from some people when they see it even though mine came without the spoiler.

None really... I've maintained the vehicle at regular intervals and have not had any big on-going problems (unlike some other vehicles I've owned in the past!). The cost of repair is steep though! Although it says Ford on the car, it's really made by Mazda. I'm very happy with it at 98K & counting.

Best 1st car
By jordabirka

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I got this car for may 16th birthday and love it! I have ALWAYS loved the Probes and now I have one! This is a great first car for a first time driver. Its got enough power with the V6 (GT) to get you out of the way if need be.

Outside door handles, flip out cup holder, hatchback, pop-up headlights, and the fog lights look really cool on the GT's!

The A/C & heat vents could be better built feels cheap and flemsey. And the "2nd" cup holder in the console is a joke!

great car
By first car

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car, i got it with 40k, and now have almost 90,000 on it. Never had a major problem, only minor ones that i fixed myself. I get 25 mpg city/30mpg highway. Performance is good,and the car looks awesome with the chrome wheels. For an 11 year old design, this car is still holding its own against new cars. awesome handling. Would recommend this car to anyone!

Engine, styling, chrome wheels, cargo room, handling, gas mileage, exhaust note, reliability...very fun to drive! lots to love about this car

insurance costs, rear seat room, premium gas (V6), tires expensive to replace, air leaks at high speed or strong winds

Awful Car
By FLGirl

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I owned this car for 5 years and had nothing but problems with it. I spent so much money on repairs including a new transmission. Just last week the car finally died. I sent it off to a salvage yard and went out and bought a 2004 Toyota Corolla, which is of course a wonderful and reliable car! I would never own a Ford after my exprience with the Ford. And yes I understand this is a Mazda engine.

I had nice driving experiences for the small amount of time that this car didn't break down.

The Probe is no longer made, and I now understand why! Do not waste your money!