Used 1997 Ford Probe Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

My 2nd Ford Probe
By criticsdarling

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

The 1997 Ford probe was my 2nd (my first was a 1990). The 1990 died at 140K mi and my 1997 is at 130K on it's final legs. It's been a pretty good, reliable car, but in the last 6 months I've had to put in $1000 in repairs. It's had computer chip problems, the axles fell out, new battery, the exhaust is starting to fall out. It's fun to drive and looks great! Sometimes repairs are a bit unusual because I am told it's actually a Mazda, so the parts are not from Ford. I've truly loved this car, I'm sad it's life is over.

Front headlights that flip up, exterior design

It lacked cup holders, check engine light would get stuck on.

Just got one
By 19probe97

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car is great. I had a Mustang before I got the Probe and I have to say that I'm much more happy with this car. Only problem is the transmission

Speakers and all around great car

More reliable transmision

Bad Taste in My Mouth
By lrivers

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Heard for years to steer clear of Ford transmissions. Now I know why. Bought this car thinking it had a Mazda 626 engine so would be safe. Didn't realize Ford was providing 626 engines for several years. Bought used with 130K on it for daughter. Within a month it developed a slow leak in transmission fluid, she didn't keep up with it and it died in the middle of the road at midnight on a Sunday night. Cost $1500 for a used unknown, $1800 to rebuild. Find out that consumers were wailing for a recall because failure was typical starting at 60K. Too bad. Car is nice looking.

Styling.

Build a better transmission someday.

The Poor Man's Sports Car
By Kerroj

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I've always loved sporty-looking cars but felt I could never afford one. I needed a car, so I decided to get a sporty one for the first time in my life. I researched a lot of used vehicles on-line and did a lot of comparison shopping. The car I REALLY wanted was a late-model Mitsubushi 3000GT, but it was too pricey overall compared to a Ford Probe. I settled with a 1997 (the last year they were made) black Probe that I found on a dealer's on-line site. This was in November 2000. This car had only 24K on the odometer. I got it for their internet price (the price was listed at about $2K higher at the dealership!). I was truly amazed when I first test-drove this car, it's fast for a 4-cyl auto!

I immediately fell in love with this car. It handles superbly and is quick off the mark. I love the sporty look and I've gotten several admiring looks from some people when they see it even though mine came without the spoiler.

None really... I've maintained the vehicle at regular intervals and have not had any big on-going problems (unlike some other vehicles I've owned in the past!). The cost of repair is steep though! Although it says Ford on the car, it's really made by Mazda. I'm very happy with it at 98K & counting.

Awful Car
By FLGirl

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I owned this car for 5 years and had nothing but problems with it. I spent so much money on repairs including a new transmission. Just last week the car finally died. I sent it off to a salvage yard and went out and bought a 2004 Toyota Corolla, which is of course a wonderful and reliable car! I would never own a Ford after my exprience with the Ford. And yes I understand this is a Mazda engine.

I had nice driving experiences for the small amount of time that this car didn't break down.

The Probe is no longer made, and I now understand why! Do not waste your money!