Used 1997 Ford Probe Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

97 2 door probe gts
By hilltw

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I got a great deal with this car. I never really heard of it until I bought it. My last car got smashed into when it was parked and got paid and rode to the store with someone and I saw this car with a $2500 price tag driving by. Of course we cut the guy off and then brought it. I didn't know what I was getting when I bought it. I had a fun problem when I first bought it is was a lot more power then I was used to so I was burning my tires all time. The guy before took great care of it and my mechanic told me it could almost pass as new and it had 135000 miles on it. I did run into some engine problem like it was over heating and stuff like that because hoses were old and stuff like that.

Favorite Features

But finishing up because I ran out of room. The stuff that went wrong is stuff you expect to go wrong with and car over time. But after all that was fixed I haven't had any problems with it for wale. But like everyone else said it is costly to fix. But you can just look at it and when you drive it you can tell its not going be cheap. It just looks too good and way too fun too drive. It sounds great but also it came with a after market exhaust with it. Another thing I love about the car is how well balanced it is. When you go into turns you have to be going stupid fast for it to slide. But even if you do slide it is easy to regain control of and save.Just don't drive after having a few drinks

Suggested Improvements

because if you think it is fun when you are sober. When you are buzzing you just go nuts with it and the cops like to follow the car when you are doing the speed limit. The handling with the car is great anyways but putting some anti-swing bars can just make it even better. The only thing I don't like about the car is that it is only a 5-speed. I the speed odometer says 140 as the top speed and I have took it up to like 120 before but I can tell with the RPM's that 140 is probably about the top speed. The extra gear would make it hang with the very high top end cars. But in America more likely you won't be able to test that kind of speed unless you look like O.J. with 10 cop cars chasing you

My 2nd Ford Probe
By criticsdarling

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

The 1997 Ford probe was my 2nd (my first was a 1990). The 1990 died at 140K mi and my 1997 is at 130K on it's final legs. It's been a pretty good, reliable car, but in the last 6 months I've had to put in $1000 in repairs. It's had computer chip problems, the axles fell out, new battery, the exhaust is starting to fall out. It's fun to drive and looks great! Sometimes repairs are a bit unusual because I am told it's actually a Mazda, so the parts are not from Ford. I've truly loved this car, I'm sad it's life is over.

Favorite Features

Front headlights that flip up, exterior design

Suggested Improvements

It lacked cup holders, check engine light would get stuck on.

Looks can be decieving
By Brian J.

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought my 97 Probe GT with nearly 145k on it the end of January 2009. The same day i drove it off the lot, the dreadful check engine light came on. Drove fine intill i was on my way home 4 days later, car stalled out and i had to pull it to side of road. It has an electrical issue that causes it to stall out and no given time and it will restart when it wants, Mazda specialist couldnt diagnose problem. After stalling on me 50+ times the 350 miles i drove it, it finally died on me on March 1st, i was taking off from my driveway and the timing belt went, killing the engine. I love the car, but Probe GTs are extremely troublesome if they were beaten. Very expensive to maintain. Dont buy Probes.

Favorite Features

interior design, extremely fun to drive, styling, comfort, engine sound and performance (V6 only)

Suggested Improvements

Mazda and Ford should have continued production of these vehicles instead of re-releasing them as the Mercury Cougar. Reliability is VERY poor, maintenance is VERY high cost, this car is NOT for teenagers or people with low income cuz of the costs(im 17 and i have learned the hard way)

Love my Probe
By Sharona

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I find my car very reliable, awesome merging onto the freeway, tons of power, easy to handle. Looks hot, too. The squealer for the brakes is giving me problems, and the brakes are new. The air bag light comes on, but the previous owner said it was an issue with the fuses. Have to look into that. The stereo system, (Alpine), rocks! I was surprised how good it is on gas, especially out on the highway, as my son would say, lots of onions.

Favorite Features

A/C, we live in the desert. Power seats and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Better beverage holders, that's about it.

1997 Probe GTS 5 spd
By 97gts

1997 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

It's like my compact little jet fighter. Quick agile and fun car. I have added aftermarket performance parts. The car is no rocket ship but it's been a good reliable car albiet it's 11 years old now and starting to show its age

Favorite Features

The GTS appearance gets looks. The 5 spd gives better performance than thier auto counterparts

Suggested Improvements

Performance upgrades