1997 Ford Probe 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

1997 Probe Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
97 2 door probe gts
By hilltw

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I got a great deal with this car. I never really heard of it until I bought it. My last car got smashed into when it was parked and got paid and rode to the store with someone and I saw this car with a $2500 price tag driving by. Of course we cut the guy off and then brought it. I didn't know what I was getting when I bought it. I had a fun problem when I first bought it is was a lot more power then I was used to so I was burning my tires all time. The guy before took great care of it and my mechanic told me it could almost pass as new and it had 135000 miles on it. I did run into some engine problem like it was over heating and stuff like that because hoses were old and stuff like that.

Favorite Features

But finishing up because I ran out of room. The stuff that went wrong is stuff you expect to go wrong with and car over time. But after all that was fixed I haven't had any problems with it for wale. But like everyone else said it is costly to fix. But you can just look at it and when you drive it you can tell its not going be cheap. It just looks too good and way too fun too drive. It sounds great but also it came with a after market exhaust with it. Another thing I love about the car is how well balanced it is. When you go into turns you have to be going stupid fast for it to slide. But even if you do slide it is easy to regain control of and save.Just don't drive after having a few drinks

Suggested Improvements

because if you think it is fun when you are sober. When you are buzzing you just go nuts with it and the cops like to follow the car when you are doing the speed limit. The handling with the car is great anyways but putting some anti-swing bars can just make it even better. The only thing I don't like about the car is that it is only a 5-speed. I the speed odometer says 140 as the top speed and I have took it up to like 120 before but I can tell with the RPM's that 140 is probably about the top speed. The extra gear would make it hang with the very high top end cars. But in America more likely you won't be able to test that kind of speed unless you look like O.J. with 10 cop cars chasing you

Looks can be decieving
By Brian J.

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought my 97 Probe GT with nearly 145k on it the end of January 2009. The same day i drove it off the lot, the dreadful check engine light came on. Drove fine intill i was on my way home 4 days later, car stalled out and i had to pull it to side of road. It has an electrical issue that causes it to stall out and no given time and it will restart when it wants, Mazda specialist couldnt diagnose problem. After stalling on me 50+ times the 350 miles i drove it, it finally died on me on March 1st, i was taking off from my driveway and the timing belt went, killing the engine. I love the car, but Probe GTs are extremely troublesome if they were beaten. Very expensive to maintain. Dont buy Probes.

Favorite Features

interior design, extremely fun to drive, styling, comfort, engine sound and performance (V6 only)

Suggested Improvements

Mazda and Ford should have continued production of these vehicles instead of re-releasing them as the Mercury Cougar. Reliability is VERY poor, maintenance is VERY high cost, this car is NOT for teenagers or people with low income cuz of the costs(im 17 and i have learned the hard way)

Love my Probe
By Sharona

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I find my car very reliable, awesome merging onto the freeway, tons of power, easy to handle. Looks hot, too. The squealer for the brakes is giving me problems, and the brakes are new. The air bag light comes on, but the previous owner said it was an issue with the fuses. Have to look into that. The stereo system, (Alpine), rocks! I was surprised how good it is on gas, especially out on the highway, as my son would say, lots of onions.

Favorite Features

A/C, we live in the desert. Power seats and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Better beverage holders, that's about it.

1997 Probe GTS 5 spd
By 97gts

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

It's like my compact little jet fighter. Quick agile and fun car. I have added aftermarket performance parts. The car is no rocket ship but it's been a good reliable car albiet it's 11 years old now and starting to show its age

Favorite Features

The GTS appearance gets looks. The 5 spd gives better performance than thier auto counterparts

Suggested Improvements

Performance upgrades

More fun than my Mustang
By kingbell4

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought in '06 with 77k on it. Now has 112k miles. Only problem was a sensor that went out. Fun to drive! Great in rain/snow. Flashy little car. Definitely not made to haul people in - back seats aren't very roomy, but it's a sports sedan. I just can't believe its performance. Can definitely hold its own, and I get about 29 miles per gallon doing 80mph every day! It rocks! Wish they still made these!

Favorite Features

Super tight handling, fuel economy, performance, reliability, dashboard. and there are no rattles. I have driven cars 2 years old that rattle

Suggested Improvements

Original paint job stunk. Have to use 91 octane or higher gas, but other than that, this car is perfect!

Somewhat decent
By rockexrolloh

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car and we've had quite a few problems with it. Every winter, the car dies. At one point, it wouldn't get any power and kept stalling. Sometimes it just wouldn't start. Mechanics couldn't figure out what the problem was but it's doing okay now. Sometimes it still stalls and shakes really bad. The AC just quit working even after being recharged, the light's will not go back down (and one is dimmer than the other. Can't figure out why even after replacing it), cigarette lighter broke, speakers aren't that great, whole exhaust system had to be replaced, etc. This car would be perfect if it didn't have so many problems. It's extremely fun to drive and has a lot of power.

Favorite Features

Handles GREAT!, has a lot of power, looks sharp, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough room, no cupholders!, stereo stinks, passenger window randomly rolls down, no cruise control, lights are stuck, stalling/shaking.

Don't buy a Ford Probe
By Matt

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

It's a fun car to drive but reliability isn't great. I've replaced both cv joints, alternator, catalytic converter, two distributors, and to top it all off, right after I bought it with 29,000 miles on it, the electrical "brain" that controls all electronics crapped out. Even with the extended warranty that came with the car when I bought it used it still cost me 200 bucks to fix it! RIDICULOUS! That's why I'm going to buy a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive (when not in the shop).

Suggested Improvements

Not much head room for tall people.

1997 GTS
By NumberOne

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This is the fourth, and will be the final Ford Probe I have owned. It is a wonderful car with great speed to back up it's sleek looks. It holds its own against new car styling while being many years old; it always runs well; the interior has a sharp design; and the look of the GTS racing stripes adds an incredible touch to the car as a whole. I always get looks driving down the street in this thing. The combination of the Mazda drivetrain and Ford body styling makes for a truly unique vehicle.

Favorite Features

I have always liked Probes for their sleek lines, and peppy attitudes, and I really love the way they hug the road. Mine gets so many looks and positive comments about it that people wonder if it is a new car.

Suggested Improvements

Parts are incredibly expensive to replace when problems arise, and having to put premium fuel in it to keep it running properly is a downfall as well. Those are my only real complaints.

Best 1st car
By jordabirka

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I got this car for may 16th birthday and love it! I have ALWAYS loved the Probes and now I have one! This is a great first car for a first time driver. Its got enough power with the V6 (GT) to get you out of the way if need be.

Favorite Features

Outside door handles, flip out cup holder, hatchback, pop-up headlights, and the fog lights look really cool on the GT's!

Suggested Improvements

The A/C & heat vents could be better built feels cheap and flemsey. And the "2nd" cup holder in the console is a joke!

great car
By first car

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car, i got it with 40k, and now have almost 90,000 on it. Never had a major problem, only minor ones that i fixed myself. I get 25 mpg city/30mpg highway. Performance is good,and the car looks awesome with the chrome wheels. For an 11 year old design, this car is still holding its own against new cars. awesome handling. Would recommend this car to anyone!

Favorite Features

Engine, styling, chrome wheels, cargo room, handling, gas mileage, exhaust note, reliability...very fun to drive! lots to love about this car

Suggested Improvements

insurance costs, rear seat room, premium gas (V6), tires expensive to replace, air leaks at high speed or strong winds