1997 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
My 2nd Ford Probe
By criticsdarling on 06/05/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

The 1997 Ford probe was my 2nd (my first was a 1990). The 1990 died at 140K mi and my 1997 is at 130K on it's final legs. It's been a pretty good, reliable car, but in the last 6 months I've had to put in $1000 in repairs. It's had computer chip problems, the axles fell out, new battery, the exhaust is starting to fall out. It's fun to drive and looks great! Sometimes repairs are a bit unusual because I am told it's actually a Mazda, so the parts are not from Ford. I've truly loved this car, I'm sad it's life is over.

Just got one
By 19probe97 on 04/16/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

This car is great. I had a Mustang before I got the Probe and I have to say that I'm much more happy with this car. Only problem is the transmission

Bad Taste in My Mouth
By lrivers on 04/15/05 12:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

Heard for years to steer clear of Ford transmissions. Now I know why. Bought this car thinking it had a Mazda 626 engine so would be safe. Didn't realize Ford was providing 626 engines for several years. Bought used with 130K on it for daughter. Within a month it developed a slow leak in transmission fluid, she didn't keep up with it and it died in the middle of the road at midnight on a Sunday night. Cost $1500 for a used unknown, $1800 to rebuild. Find out that consumers were wailing for a recall because failure was typical starting at 60K. Too bad. Car is nice looking.

The Poor Man's Sports Car
By Kerroj on 12/28/04 16:01 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I've always loved sporty-looking cars but felt I could never afford one. I needed a car, so I decided to get a sporty one for the first time in my life. I researched a lot of used vehicles on-line and did a lot of comparison shopping. The car I REALLY wanted was a late-model Mitsubushi 3000GT, but it was too pricey overall compared to a Ford Probe. I settled with a 1997 (the last year they were made) black Probe that I found on a dealer's on-line site. This was in November 2000. This car had only 24K on the odometer. I got it for their internet price (the price was listed at about $2K higher at the dealership!). I was truly amazed when I first test-drove this car, it's fast for a 4-cyl auto!

Awful Car
By FLGirl on 01/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I owned this car for 5 years and had nothing but problems with it. I spent so much money on repairs including a new transmission. Just last week the car finally died. I sent it off to a salvage yard and went out and bought a 2004 Toyota Corolla, which is of course a wonderful and reliable car! I would never own a Ford after my exprience with the Ford. And yes I understand this is a Mazda engine.

Probe Files 97
By Francis Eleazar on 11/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

My Ford Probe has been very dependable for the past 5 years that I've been driving it. It is the first car that I ever bought for myself. The car has a unique look to it and still looks fairly attractive considering that the last probe manufactured was 6 years ago. The transmission is not that great and has a hard time going on steep hillside roads. The acceleration is average but the handling is above average. The rear compartment is quite spacious. The car is perfect if there are no little kids in the family for the back seat is really not that spacious. Overall it is a good car.

We have 2
By Smokeman on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

The style is great. W/the seats down, you can fit a full size bed in the car. It looks sporty, so you feel proud to drive it. Only problem is the check engine light comes on after 40K miles. After having it checked out and finding nothing is wrong, we have to disconnect the battery to reset the lamp.

My 2nd Probe!
By Keek on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I'm on my second Probe, and both have been relatively good to me. Maybe not an A+, but definately an A. (1990 Probe, 1997 Probe, both standard transmission) I have really enjoyed driving both of these cars. I was in a nasty accident earlier this week (hit by a BIG Jeep Cherokee) and I am amazed at how well my Probe held up! I was hit on the drivers side, and in a lesser car I am quite sure my legs would have been broken at the very least. Unfortunately, my Probe has too much damage not to be totalled, (Sob!) but I can honestly say that I would get another Probe. (Isn't three the magic number?)

My little green machine
By Victorio on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

This is my second car, I can't belive how much I love this car, it drives like a dream, girls love it. You would never belive how it's actually changed my how concept of driving. When The ford probe first came out I always wanted one, and now that I have one, I must say, I am not disapointed!

Best Car Ive Ever Owned!
By WXYZ on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

Seriously. This is the best car Ive owned out of the 8 I have. I bought it new and Ive yet to have a mechanical problem with it!!!! I take very good care of it and it takes care of me. The styling is great. The car handles like no other and the Manual Transaxle shifts like a dream! I would highly recommend one if you can find one that wasnt abused!