1997 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
97 2 door probe gts
By hilltw on 05/19/12 08:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I got a great deal with this car. I never really heard of it until I bought it. My last car got smashed into when it was parked and got paid and rode to the store with someone and I saw this car with a $2500 price tag driving by. Of course we cut the guy off and then brought it. I didn't know what I was getting when I bought it. I had a fun problem when I first bought it is was a lot more power then I was used to so I was burning my tires all time. The guy before took great care of it and my mechanic told me it could almost pass as new and it had 135000 miles on it. I did run into some engine problem like it was over heating and stuff like that because hoses were old and stuff like that.

My 2nd Ford Probe
By criticsdarling on 06/05/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

The 1997 Ford probe was my 2nd (my first was a 1990). The 1990 died at 140K mi and my 1997 is at 130K on it's final legs. It's been a pretty good, reliable car, but in the last 6 months I've had to put in $1000 in repairs. It's had computer chip problems, the axles fell out, new battery, the exhaust is starting to fall out. It's fun to drive and looks great! Sometimes repairs are a bit unusual because I am told it's actually a Mazda, so the parts are not from Ford. I've truly loved this car, I'm sad it's life is over.

Looks can be decieving
By Brian J. on 03/25/09 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought my 97 Probe GT with nearly 145k on it the end of January 2009. The same day i drove it off the lot, the dreadful check engine light came on. Drove fine intill i was on my way home 4 days later, car stalled out and i had to pull it to side of road. It has an electrical issue that causes it to stall out and no given time and it will restart when it wants, Mazda specialist couldnt diagnose problem. After stalling on me 50+ times the 350 miles i drove it, it finally died on me on March 1st, i was taking off from my driveway and the timing belt went, killing the engine. I love the car, but Probe GTs are extremely troublesome if they were beaten. Very expensive to maintain. Dont buy Probes.

Love my Probe
By Sharona on 06/09/08 21:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I find my car very reliable, awesome merging onto the freeway, tons of power, easy to handle. Looks hot, too. The squealer for the brakes is giving me problems, and the brakes are new. The air bag light comes on, but the previous owner said it was an issue with the fuses. Have to look into that. The stereo system, (Alpine), rocks! I was surprised how good it is on gas, especially out on the highway, as my son would say, lots of onions.

1997 Probe GTS 5 spd
By 97gts on 04/26/08 19:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

It's like my compact little jet fighter. Quick agile and fun car. I have added aftermarket performance parts. The car is no rocket ship but it's been a good reliable car albiet it's 11 years old now and starting to show its age

More fun than my Mustang
By kingbell4 on 04/23/08 09:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought in '06 with 77k on it. Now has 112k miles. Only problem was a sensor that went out. Fun to drive! Great in rain/snow. Flashy little car. Definitely not made to haul people in - back seats aren't very roomy, but it's a sports sedan. I just can't believe its performance. Can definitely hold its own, and I get about 29 miles per gallon doing 80mph every day! It rocks! Wish they still made these!

Just got one
By 19probe97 on 04/16/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

This car is great. I had a Mustang before I got the Probe and I have to say that I'm much more happy with this car. Only problem is the transmission

Somewhat decent
By rockexrolloh on 03/26/07 10:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car and we've had quite a few problems with it. Every winter, the car dies. At one point, it wouldn't get any power and kept stalling. Sometimes it just wouldn't start. Mechanics couldn't figure out what the problem was but it's doing okay now. Sometimes it still stalls and shakes really bad. The AC just quit working even after being recharged, the light's will not go back down (and one is dimmer than the other. Can't figure out why even after replacing it), cigarette lighter broke, speakers aren't that great, whole exhaust system had to be replaced, etc. This car would be perfect if it didn't have so many problems. It's extremely fun to drive and has a lot of power.

Don't buy a Ford Probe
By Matt on 03/18/06 10:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

It's a fun car to drive but reliability isn't great. I've replaced both cv joints, alternator, catalytic converter, two distributors, and to top it all off, right after I bought it with 29,000 miles on it, the electrical "brain" that controls all electronics crapped out. Even with the extended warranty that came with the car when I bought it used it still cost me 200 bucks to fix it! RIDICULOUS! That's why I'm going to buy a Toyota.

Bad Taste in My Mouth
By lrivers on 04/15/05 12:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

Heard for years to steer clear of Ford transmissions. Now I know why. Bought this car thinking it had a Mazda 626 engine so would be safe. Didn't realize Ford was providing 626 engines for several years. Bought used with 130K on it for daughter. Within a month it developed a slow leak in transmission fluid, she didn't keep up with it and it died in the middle of the road at midnight on a Sunday night. Cost $1500 for a used unknown, $1800 to rebuild. Find out that consumers were wailing for a recall because failure was typical starting at 60K. Too bad. Car is nice looking.