Should I have the water pump replaced?
By jahmn on
1996 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback
This car has been fantastic. Now I have my 1st original part to replace per maintenance - the timing belt at now 60,000 miles. The mechanic suggested doing the water pump also, but there is no indication of wear or imminent failure. A logical suggestion, but are water pumps a problem with this car? I drove it down to the local classic car/hot-rod parade and got waved into it. There were people asking how it could be a Ford (never seen one). They could not believe Ford made such a good looking car. I am the original owner and ordered 5-speed manual, hot-rod red, 16" wide/chrome wheels. It still gets lots of looks. Nothing corners as well as this car - freaks people out.
Favorite Features
Looks, handling, reliability. I have yet to replace even the brake pads. I have 60,000 miles and will do my first spark plugs. Having the timing belt done as a precaution. Easiest oil changes with direct access to filter. Note, I never drove it during winter - wrong tires for snow.
Suggested Improvements
Ford screwed up not continuing this baby (given all the interest in it now that it is so rare). I suspect if I should have a repair, such will be expensive. Maybe its the Mazda, but quality was job #1 on this Ford, which is unusual in my experience with Ford.