1996 Ford Probe 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Probes respond to attention

1996 Ford Probe - Consumer Review

1996 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

Base 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Probes respond to attention
By classic probe on

1996 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

Having owned a probe v6 gt for 12 years, I must say its been really reliable as a day to day driver. The only problem, which caused the car not to start, was a faulty distributor module, which is an integral part of the Mitsubishi distributor used in these vehicles, {a known problem} once replaced at 163,000 km the car is running really well. I made it a habit to flush the oil at 20k intervals, while servicing the car at 5000klm intervals, and I only use Mobil 1 5w- 50 synthetic oil, k and n oil and air filters, and castrol synthetic 75w gear oil. The flush I use for the engine is liquid moly, and is very effective, hence no lifter noise! I replaced the cam belt, idlers, water pump and plugs, re book.

Favorite Features

great economy on the open road,i average about 9.5 liters per 100 km, brilliant steering with plenty of feel, and great overall handling.

Suggested Improvements

like most sports coupes, these could do with better cooling, i live in Australia, and it can reach up to 44 Celsius, but no problems so far, it's just a suggestion, of course nothing will happen now, the car is 14 years old, not bad for a teenager eh !
By ravem
on 11/18/11 10:11 AM (PST)

Did you have problems with the battery being drained? I have a 96 GT, and the batter will not stay charged. I've replaced the battery and alternator. Still, battery not staying charged. Does the distributor module have anything to do with the battery not staying charged if the alternator is good?