1996 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
Clankety-clank goes my dash...
By Female, Single, 25 on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

This car is good if you're only looking for fuel efficiency & a large cargo area. This car is bad when it comes to repairing it. It is half Mazda and half Ford - you'll need both metric and standard tools to work on it yourself & the engine is really cramped & tightly packed - what a pain! After only 63000 miles and 6 years, my model has many rattles and many broken interior parts including problems with the door handles that have had extensive warranty work on them to no avail. The interior is just too cramped. I would not recommend this car to anyone but a teenager.

Still A Gem
By JohnAllan on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Have owned my 5-speed GT since new following a Base '92 Probe. Have only had to replace spark/ignition wires and front half shafts in 6 years/5800 miles. A thrill to drive every day with a beautiful engine and exhaust note. Considered trading last year but car sales rep was so interested in buying it from me personally ("It's like new"), I realized I couldn't replace it for less than 5 times it's trade value and it is still more comfortable and fun than most new cars! I still love it's looks and acceleration - especially in passing situations!

amazing
By jared stein on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

this car is amazing, it doesnt brake and its easy to supe up. i recomend this car to anyone

Outstanding vehicle!!!
By husband on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this puppy brand spanking new, and I have loved every day with it. Good acceleration; smooth looks (for its time); and very comfortable interior. Rusty sunroof and crappy service from Ford (for standard maintenance) are the only detractions. I wish Ford had continued this model.

Ford's "other" sports car...
By 96ProbeGT on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I love my '96 Probe GT. It has been very reliable. It is quick, looks great, handles like it is on rails, and is really fun to drive. I also owned a '93 PGT, but I prefer the looks, reliability, and build quality of the '96.

not to shabby
By scoot on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

the car for me was a little under powered with its 2.5ltr 164 hp mazda engine. The car however now has 150,000 miles on it and is still running from its original 5 speed tranny and motor. The sunroof rusts like carzy but isn't leaking yet. The car is fun to drive, handles great in the snow, it can take a sharp 90 degree corner at 50 mph. The car is worth it. Unfortunately at 150,000 miles though it is beginning to show signs of age. The parts are very expensive for this car and if you are a do it yourselfer like me u had better have alot of time to work on this car, nothing is easy on this car.

Eats Transmissions For Lunch
By Steve Wormuth on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

Check around and verify before buying one of these. I'm not making this up. Transmissions are known to fail, and cannot be found used and still shifting. Ford will gladly sell you a $3500 rebuilt with little warranty if you ask nicely. Babied this car, and it sits in the yard needing $3500 to move again. Just avoid it... Trust me, it looks pretty, but it's not worth it!