Used 1996 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

96 Probe GT
By bill

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

My GT was bought new. Have had little problems outside normal maintenance. Had to have a new engine put in at 187,000 miles, thats right 187,000! Due to a teenage driver not checking oil. The car now has 210,000. I have a 5 speed, be nice if it was a 6 speed.

This car is still fun to drive after all these years.

I do not like the cupholder layout.

I love this car!
By wantrs50

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I have put 50,000 miles on my GT in 5+ years and have yet to make a repair, only regular maintenance. The only problem I've had is the EGR valve malfunctioning. Now with 105,000 miles it still runs like a champ. Check ebay and you will see these approaching 300,000 miles sometimes. The Mazda 2.5 v6 is a great engine, though not on par with today's Japanese sporty engines. The braking and handling are superb. This car "feels right" more than any car I have ever driven, and I have driven many. I have other vehicles, but simply refuse to sell my ol' Probe because I love it too much. This car really is a gem! Get a nice one if you get the chance - it'll be well worth the money.

The handling is superb! People always get scared riding with me because they are not used to cars being able to handle the way mine does. Top notch!

The interior is typical Ford - too much plastic and cheesy upholstery.

Sigh
By edismz

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I love this car's roar once it passes 3000rpms; the handling is pretty good for a FWD. But if you want a sports why would you get a FWD? Fun drive, but horrible reliability. One problem after another. If you own a Probe, 90% of the money will be going to be going into the car because of the poor reliability. The Mazda engine is excellent on that car, but that is all.

Engine, performance for FWD.

Should've cut the car off earlier.

Love It -- but it's turning into a money
By cathmary

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 20K, now have 75K on it. Love driving it, but have had numerous problems: In the first year, the CD player, and the hydraulics for the hatchback/trunk door went out. The radiator had to be replaced. Seatbelt buckles for both front seats had to be replaced. The EEC relay board and a battery cable cover just got replaced today ($350 plus towing). Without the EEC thing, the car won't even start. I'm postponing $1500 worth of emissions parts (oxygen sensors, etc.) Cover panels around passenger feet keep falling off. Parts are VERY EXPENSIVE + HARD TO FIND! Now just want to get running and sell it, alas!

Exterior body. Interior color (tan). The sunroof.

Since Ford no longer makes Probes, what's to improve? I'd like to see Ford truly make QUALITY their JOB #1

Great
By shawdy_fosho

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have had a fun time with this car, it drives great, they exterior designing is awesome, and the interior is well designed!!! I give it an A+++++++++

Engine Horsepower