1996 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
1996 Probe SE
By ENPeterson on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have owned My Probe SE for two years now. I have yet to need anything except two new front tires and regular routine maitainence. There is not a whole lot to complain about with this car, coming from the Mazda base, how could there be.

Better than you'd expect
By Zahmorri on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have driven the life out of my car (10500/6 years), and it has been fairly good to me. It looks faster than it is, but it will give you its best, however loudly. Is extremely fun to drive; is best with a manual transmission, however. Looks great, especially with tinted windows. Mix of Mazda/Ford parts is a pain; modifications also difficult due to cramped engine space. Yet has great fuel efficiency (in non-extreme conditions).

A great car.
By JS2Music on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my GT four years ago, and now must part strictly because of cargo space. It's a very peppy car with great handling and an amazing stereo system. My car has a factory sub which adds really nice low end. The Factory CD played is/was terrible, it eventually had to be put out to pasture. Beyond normal maintance, my water pump cracked (a pricey fix-up) And both CV joint cases had to be replaced (possibly my fault). Watch the alignment if not you'll go through tires pretty quickly. This was certainly my favorite car so far.

Love the Probe
By Chemboy on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 96 GT Probe new and have loved most everything. I whine constantly about no lights in the glove box and trunk (and on the GT model--come on Ford!) My only problem has been leaky oil gaskets found when replacing the timing belt and a tune- up at 80,0000 miles...and there was the problem with the power window fixed under warranty. Other than that, it has driven like a dream and looks very sleek especially with the rear spoiler.

Good Car, Bad Trans......
By Boxster265 on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned a 96 GT since 1999. I have throughly enjoyed this car until today, when the transmission went submission at 72,000 miles. The car has given me no problems beyond the very bad interior rattles. I have always like Ford products, but now I don't know. A friend recommended selling it at 75,000, I almost made it. Liked the car, but didn't like the bad trans that had been flushed 15,000 miles ago. On to something foreign now!!!!

my review
By Mikenetize on 03/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This car is the best thing I have ever driven. it's fun, easy to work on and I haven't had any problems with it. My only problem is that I wish they had put a 6-speed in it.

Fun car!!
By gene-o on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

This car handles great, gets almost 30 mpg around town, and has fair acceleration. With a manual transmission you will knock drinks out of the single cupholder. Interior materials are cheap. I have had a few annoying repairs such as the oil sending unit but nothing major.

Fun car!!
By Gene-O on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

still a good car
By Tawnya on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

we bought this car used and found out that it had been wrecked.I have had no real problems with it it drives great it is very fun.I would not recomend this car if you have older kids not enough leg room in the back,I drive this car every day and I love it.besides I feel like a teenager when I am driving it.

fast for a four cylinder
By Tad on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

the car handles well around turns. its not that fast but for 118hp its pretty quick. the only things i have had trouble with is the exust pipe and muffler i had to replace twice and some coil for the battery went bad.