1996 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
Fun car!!
By gene-o on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

This car handles great, gets almost 30 mpg around town, and has fair acceleration. With a manual transmission you will knock drinks out of the single cupholder. Interior materials are cheap. I have had a few annoying repairs such as the oil sending unit but nothing major.

Fun car!!
By Gene-O on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

still a good car
By Tawnya on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

we bought this car used and found out that it had been wrecked.I have had no real problems with it it drives great it is very fun.I would not recomend this car if you have older kids not enough leg room in the back,I drive this car every day and I love it.besides I feel like a teenager when I am driving it.

fast for a four cylinder
By Tad on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

the car handles well around turns. its not that fast but for 118hp its pretty quick. the only things i have had trouble with is the exust pipe and muffler i had to replace twice and some coil for the battery went bad.

Clankety-clank goes my dash...
By Female, Single, 25 on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

This car is good if you're only looking for fuel efficiency & a large cargo area. This car is bad when it comes to repairing it. It is half Mazda and half Ford - you'll need both metric and standard tools to work on it yourself & the engine is really cramped & tightly packed - what a pain! After only 63000 miles and 6 years, my model has many rattles and many broken interior parts including problems with the door handles that have had extensive warranty work on them to no avail. The interior is just too cramped. I would not recommend this car to anyone but a teenager.

amazing
By jared stein on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

this car is amazing, it doesnt brake and its easy to supe up. i recomend this car to anyone

Eats Transmissions For Lunch
By Steve Wormuth on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

Check around and verify before buying one of these. I'm not making this up. Transmissions are known to fail, and cannot be found used and still shifting. Ford will gladly sell you a $3500 rebuilt with little warranty if you ask nicely. Babied this car, and it sits in the yard needing $3500 to move again. Just avoid it... Trust me, it looks pretty, but it's not worth it!