Used 1996 Ford Probe SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Probe

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Great
By shawdy_fosho

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have had a fun time with this car, it drives great, they exterior designing is awesome, and the interior is well designed!!! I give it an A+++++++++

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Engine Horsepower

luv my fordza!!!!
By squidly

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

just plain love this auto! neatest car i`ve ever had! (have owned quite a few) not really slow, not really fast, either.sorta half-fast,i suppose! (couldn`t resist)

Favorite Features

body styling, very roomy hatch back.

Suggested Improvements

bigger ashtray, more cupholders.

Buy a Trans before you buy the car
By Barneke

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have not misused the car and I have performed all of the scheduled maintenance on the car. At 75,263 miles reverse disappeared. Needless to say a I need a new transmission. The cost of the work out weighs the value of the car. $900.00 for one out of a junk yard, not rebuilt and about 1000 in labor. I contacting Ford regarding the problem and informed them about the widspread transmission problems with the Probe. They are in denial about this issue and have informed me that their is currently no program in place to help me. This model car is a money pit, avoid it!

Favorite Features

Comfort and Styling

Suggested Improvements

Recall the car and correct the transmission problems.

1996 Probe SE
By ENPeterson

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have owned My Probe SE for two years now. I have yet to need anything except two new front tires and regular routine maitainence. There is not a whole lot to complain about with this car, coming from the Mazda base, how could there be.

Better than you'd expect
By Zahmorri

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have driven the life out of my car (10500/6 years), and it has been fairly good to me. It looks faster than it is, but it will give you its best, however loudly. Is extremely fun to drive; is best with a manual transmission, however. Looks great, especially with tinted windows. Mix of Mazda/Ford parts is a pain; modifications also difficult due to cramped engine space. Yet has great fuel efficiency (in non-extreme conditions).

Favorite Features

Excellent handling. Really holds a curve. Great gas mileage (except when the A/C is in use). Looks great. Pop- up headlights are rare and fun. Big trunk (lots of room for stereo improvements!) and good acoustics. Dash and controls are attractive and easy to read at a glance.

Suggested Improvements

Radiator,timing belt,CV joints,fuel pump,alternator,catalytic converter have gone out. Paint scratches easily. Engine sounds like enraged lawnmower when ATX downshifts. No side-impact beams. Backseat not situable for two people; one (small) person is about it.