1996 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
96 Probe GT
By bill on 04/03/08 14:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

My GT was bought new. Have had little problems outside normal maintenance. Had to have a new engine put in at 187,000 miles, thats right 187,000! Due to a teenage driver not checking oil. The car now has 210,000. I have a 5 speed, be nice if it was a 6 speed.

I love this car!
By wantrs50 on 07/11/07 23:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I have put 50,000 miles on my GT in 5+ years and have yet to make a repair, only regular maintenance. The only problem I've had is the EGR valve malfunctioning. Now with 105,000 miles it still runs like a champ. Check ebay and you will see these approaching 300,000 miles sometimes. The Mazda 2.5 v6 is a great engine, though not on par with today's Japanese sporty engines. The braking and handling are superb. This car "feels right" more than any car I have ever driven, and I have driven many. I have other vehicles, but simply refuse to sell my ol' Probe because I love it too much. This car really is a gem! Get a nice one if you get the chance - it'll be well worth the money.

Sigh
By edismz on 03/01/07 13:13 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I love this car's roar once it passes 3000rpms; the handling is pretty good for a FWD. But if you want a sports why would you get a FWD? Fun drive, but horrible reliability. One problem after another. If you own a Probe, 90% of the money will be going to be going into the car because of the poor reliability. The Mazda engine is excellent on that car, but that is all.

Love It -- but it's turning into a money
By cathmary on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 20K, now have 75K on it. Love driving it, but have had numerous problems: In the first year, the CD player, and the hydraulics for the hatchback/trunk door went out. The radiator had to be replaced. Seatbelt buckles for both front seats had to be replaced. The EEC relay board and a battery cable cover just got replaced today ($350 plus towing). Without the EEC thing, the car won't even start. I'm postponing $1500 worth of emissions parts (oxygen sensors, etc.) Cover panels around passenger feet keep falling off. Parts are VERY EXPENSIVE + HARD TO FIND! Now just want to get running and sell it, alas!

Great
By shawdy_fosho on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have had a fun time with this car, it drives great, they exterior designing is awesome, and the interior is well designed!!! I give it an A+++++++++

1996 Ford Probe
By blaster91yamaha on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

This car is a very reliable and fast car. This car has one of the best fuel consumption ever. I made it to Wisconsin and bak on $60 on gas. Thats like 33 mpg!!!

luv my fordza!!!!
By squidly on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

just plain love this auto! neatest car i`ve ever had! (have owned quite a few) not really slow, not really fast, either.sorta half-fast,i suppose! (couldn`t resist)

1996 Ford Probe GT
By Bruce Green on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Great car for the money!

Lori's Car
By Lori1985 on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I love my Probe. I have my car for over a year and a half and have had few problems with it. Until recently, the only repairs I have had were for the air conditioner and air bag light. Other than that, my car has ran pretty good. Like I said, I love my car!

Buy a Trans before you buy the car
By Barneke on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have not misused the car and I have performed all of the scheduled maintenance on the car. At 75,263 miles reverse disappeared. Needless to say a I need a new transmission. The cost of the work out weighs the value of the car. $900.00 for one out of a junk yard, not rebuilt and about 1000 in labor. I contacting Ford regarding the problem and informed them about the widspread transmission problems with the Probe. They are in denial about this issue and have informed me that their is currently no program in place to help me. This model car is a money pit, avoid it!