1996 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
1996 Ford Probe SE
By kolster on 04/20/12 17:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

My family has had this car for a few cars and it has been great! We have 216,000 miles on it! It's been a great car. No complaints!

Nice Little CarÂ…
By Don on 12/05/09 20:17 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

She's a nice little car, but lately she's been trying to nickel-and-dime me like crazy. I've got an oil leak somewhere, warm air is intermittent, the Airbag light intermittently flashes, the left side stereo speakers don't work 99% of the time.

Decent car if you got money to fix it
By myname2617 on 12/09/08 16:50 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

I bought my SE 2 years ago and it has been burning oil ever since. Fortunately by adding about a quart a week I've been able to keep it running. It is very very fun to drive. I work at a Nissan dealer so I've gotten to drive a 350Z, and I think my Probe handles better. It does have an upgraded suspension and has been lowered by 2 inches, so that helps. I have also always put high performance all season tires on it. I'm not given enough letters to explain all the things I've had to, or that I need to do. I think it'll be cheaper to get a V6 and transmission rather than trying to replace everything under the hood that's going bad. Overall it's a great car if you are prepared to fix it all the time.

Best thing I have owned sense my 70 Mav
By David Johnson on 07/09/08 10:30 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my SE in Nov 2005 and this car has done nothing short of giving me it's all. I tested it on the highway and it got 37MPG 5speed standard is the only way to go with one of these cars. I have sense then installed a turbo upgrade from a Mazda 626 kit that makes this little car a tiny monster. I am pushing 300HP at the front wheels and still get 30MPG when I drive it like I have some sense. The only car that I have ever owned that came clse to as much fun as this little car is my 1970 Maverick that I put a 1969 302 BOSS in. If you can find one in standard shift it is worth buying for a single person to get around in. Don't have any room in the back seat for anyone older than 7or 8

Pretty decent car
By er23 on 06/27/08 15:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Probe SE for two and half years now, and I have loved the car. I have, although, had many problems with repairs. I have spent more money on repairs than I have to buy the car. The exterior has very nice styling other than the SE rims. The interior is very nice and comfortable, and the visibility is perfect. I would say the biggest plus to this car is the handling. It honestly handles like a dream. It is overall a solid car despite the constant repairs.

Great
By shawdy_fosho on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

I have had a fun time with this car, it drives great, they exterior designing is awesome, and the interior is well designed!!! I give it an A+++++++++

luv my fordza!!!!
By squidly on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

just plain love this auto! neatest car i`ve ever had! (have owned quite a few) not really slow, not really fast, either.sorta half-fast,i suppose! (couldn`t resist)

Buy a Trans before you buy the car
By Barneke on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

I have not misused the car and I have performed all of the scheduled maintenance on the car. At 75,263 miles reverse disappeared. Needless to say a I need a new transmission. The cost of the work out weighs the value of the car. $900.00 for one out of a junk yard, not rebuilt and about 1000 in labor. I contacting Ford regarding the problem and informed them about the widspread transmission problems with the Probe. They are in denial about this issue and have informed me that their is currently no program in place to help me. This model car is a money pit, avoid it!

1996 Probe SE
By ENPeterson on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

I have owned My Probe SE for two years now. I have yet to need anything except two new front tires and regular routine maitainence. There is not a whole lot to complain about with this car, coming from the Mazda base, how could there be.

Better than you'd expect
By Zahmorri on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

I have driven the life out of my car (10500/6 years), and it has been fairly good to me. It looks faster than it is, but it will give you its best, however loudly. Is extremely fun to drive; is best with a manual transmission, however. Looks great, especially with tinted windows. Mix of Mazda/Ford parts is a pain; modifications also difficult due to cramped engine space. Yet has great fuel efficiency (in non-extreme conditions).