1996 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
Probes respond to attention
By classic probe on 07/25/10 20:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Having owned a probe v6 gt for 12 years, I must say its been really reliable as a day to day driver. The only problem, which caused the car not to start, was a faulty distributor module, which is an integral part of the Mitsubishi distributor used in these vehicles, {a known problem} once replaced at 163,000 km the car is running really well. I made it a habit to flush the oil at 20k intervals, while servicing the car at 5000klm intervals, and I only use Mobil 1 5w- 50 synthetic oil, k and n oil and air filters, and castrol synthetic 75w gear oil. The flush I use for the engine is liquid moly, and is very effective, hence no lifter noise! I replaced the cam belt, idlers, water pump and plugs, re book.

Should I have the water pump replaced?
By jahmn on 07/19/10 20:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This car has been fantastic. Now I have my 1st original part to replace per maintenance - the timing belt at now 60,000 miles. The mechanic suggested doing the water pump also, but there is no indication of wear or imminent failure. A logical suggestion, but are water pumps a problem with this car? I drove it down to the local classic car/hot-rod parade and got waved into it. There were people asking how it could be a Ford (never seen one). They could not believe Ford made such a good looking car. I am the original owner and ordered 5-speed manual, hot-rod red, 16" wide/chrome wheels. It still gets lots of looks. Nothing corners as well as this car - freaks people out.

Turning out to be expensive
By Brian on 04/29/09 09:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for 2,500 back in may and have had to spend another 3,000 in repairs. its turning into such a hassle. when it's running good it's a great car. pretty quick, very good handling, but once again not very reliable.

Fun, nice looking repair prone car
By Robert Ranzer on 12/21/08 08:59 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my GT new. While it is a great looking vehicle ive had a few problems. Recently had the top and lower idler pulleys in the engine go. That would have been fatal for the engine without a little luck. At 50,000 miles I had the ignition distributor assembly go. The engine just shut off in rush hour traffic. $700 for remanufactred part. Radiator in 04. Water pump in 03. Spark plug wire set in 02. R/F and L/F axles in 03. The rear lift on the hatch loses it,s ability to stay up. Had that fixed before. The car leaks coolant and a little oil. My mechanic says don't worry about it cause it's not worth fixing. I know the car is old but it has only 60,000 miles on it. Fun to drive.

96 GT Probe
By David on 11/30/08 23:14 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I got my Probe GT 08/2007 and I've put over 40,000 miles on it only having to change the oil and put gas in it. But it does only get 17 or 18 mpg and its still running like new still to this day

96 Probe GT
By bill on 04/03/08 14:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

My GT was bought new. Have had little problems outside normal maintenance. Had to have a new engine put in at 187,000 miles, thats right 187,000! Due to a teenage driver not checking oil. The car now has 210,000. I have a 5 speed, be nice if it was a 6 speed.

I love this car!
By wantrs50 on 07/11/07 23:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have put 50,000 miles on my GT in 5+ years and have yet to make a repair, only regular maintenance. The only problem I've had is the EGR valve malfunctioning. Now with 105,000 miles it still runs like a champ. Check ebay and you will see these approaching 300,000 miles sometimes. The Mazda 2.5 v6 is a great engine, though not on par with today's Japanese sporty engines. The braking and handling are superb. This car "feels right" more than any car I have ever driven, and I have driven many. I have other vehicles, but simply refuse to sell my ol' Probe because I love it too much. This car really is a gem! Get a nice one if you get the chance - it'll be well worth the money.

Sigh
By edismz on 03/01/07 13:13 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I love this car's roar once it passes 3000rpms; the handling is pretty good for a FWD. But if you want a sports why would you get a FWD? Fun drive, but horrible reliability. One problem after another. If you own a Probe, 90% of the money will be going to be going into the car because of the poor reliability. The Mazda engine is excellent on that car, but that is all.

Love It -- but it's turning into a money
By cathmary on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 20K, now have 75K on it. Love driving it, but have had numerous problems: In the first year, the CD player, and the hydraulics for the hatchback/trunk door went out. The radiator had to be replaced. Seatbelt buckles for both front seats had to be replaced. The EEC relay board and a battery cable cover just got replaced today ($350 plus towing). Without the EEC thing, the car won't even start. I'm postponing $1500 worth of emissions parts (oxygen sensors, etc.) Cover panels around passenger feet keep falling off. Parts are VERY EXPENSIVE + HARD TO FIND! Now just want to get running and sell it, alas!

1996 Ford Probe GT
By Bruce Green on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Great car for the money!