Used 1996 Ford Probe Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

1996 Ford Probe SE
By kolster

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

My family has had this car for a few cars and it has been great! We have 216,000 miles on it! It's been a great car. No complaints!

Probes respond to attention
By classic probe

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Having owned a probe v6 gt for 12 years, I must say its been really reliable as a day to day driver. The only problem, which caused the car not to start, was a faulty distributor module, which is an integral part of the Mitsubishi distributor used in these vehicles, {a known problem} once replaced at 163,000 km the car is running really well. I made it a habit to flush the oil at 20k intervals, while servicing the car at 5000klm intervals, and I only use Mobil 1 5w- 50 synthetic oil, k and n oil and air filters, and castrol synthetic 75w gear oil. The flush I use for the engine is liquid moly, and is very effective, hence no lifter noise! I replaced the cam belt, idlers, water pump and plugs, re book.

great economy on the open road,i average about 9.5 liters per 100 km, brilliant steering with plenty of feel, and great overall handling.

like most sports coupes, these could do with better cooling, i live in Australia, and it can reach up to 44 Celsius, but no problems so far, it's just a suggestion, of course nothing will happen now, the car is 14 years old, not bad for a teenager eh !

Should I have the water pump replaced?
By jahmn

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This car has been fantastic. Now I have my 1st original part to replace per maintenance - the timing belt at now 60,000 miles. The mechanic suggested doing the water pump also, but there is no indication of wear or imminent failure. A logical suggestion, but are water pumps a problem with this car? I drove it down to the local classic car/hot-rod parade and got waved into it. There were people asking how it could be a Ford (never seen one). They could not believe Ford made such a good looking car. I am the original owner and ordered 5-speed manual, hot-rod red, 16" wide/chrome wheels. It still gets lots of looks. Nothing corners as well as this car - freaks people out.

Looks, handling, reliability. I have yet to replace even the brake pads. I have 60,000 miles and will do my first spark plugs. Having the timing belt done as a precaution. Easiest oil changes with direct access to filter. Note, I never drove it during winter - wrong tires for snow.

Ford screwed up not continuing this baby (given all the interest in it now that it is so rare). I suspect if I should have a repair, such will be expensive. Maybe its the Mazda, but quality was job #1 on this Ford, which is unusual in my experience with Ford.

Nice Little Car…
By Don

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback

She's a nice little car, but lately she's been trying to nickel-and-dime me like crazy. I've got an oil leak somewhere, warm air is intermittent, the Airbag light intermittently flashes, the left side stereo speakers don't work 99% of the time.

Steering, shifter, visibility, the way most of the controls fall right to hand. MPG, 27 around town.

Radio controls could be larger, more power that the 2.5 likes to give without moving to a V-6.

Turning out to be expensive
By Brian

1996 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car for 2,500 back in may and have had to spend another 3,000 in repairs. its turning into such a hassle. when it's running good it's a great car. pretty quick, very good handling, but once again not very reliable.

How aerodynamic the car is

Cup holder