Used 1996 Ford Probe SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Probe

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Most Helpful|
Decent car if you got money to fix it
By myname2617

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I bought my SE 2 years ago and it has been burning oil ever since. Fortunately by adding about a quart a week I've been able to keep it running. It is very very fun to drive. I work at a Nissan dealer so I've gotten to drive a 350Z, and I think my Probe handles better. It does have an upgraded suspension and has been lowered by 2 inches, so that helps. I have also always put high performance all season tires on it. I'm not given enough letters to explain all the things I've had to, or that I need to do. I think it'll be cheaper to get a V6 and transmission rather than trying to replace everything under the hood that's going bad. Overall it's a great car if you are prepared to fix it all the time.

Favorite Features

Handling, appearance (interior and exterior) My interior has been custom painted to match the car. It also has a spoiler that really makes the car look that much sportier. Aftermarket exhaust also helps. It is pretty quick off the line, through 1st and 2nd at least. Fun to drive.

Nice Little Car…
By Don

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

She's a nice little car, but lately she's been trying to nickel-and-dime me like crazy. I've got an oil leak somewhere, warm air is intermittent, the Airbag light intermittently flashes, the left side stereo speakers don't work 99% of the time.

Favorite Features

Steering, shifter, visibility, the way most of the controls fall right to hand. MPG, 27 around town.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls could be larger, more power that the 2.5 likes to give without moving to a V-6.

1996 Ford Probe SE
By kolster

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

My family has had this car for a few cars and it has been great! We have 216,000 miles on it! It's been a great car. No complaints!

Pretty decent car
By er23

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Probe SE for two and half years now, and I have loved the car. I have, although, had many problems with repairs. I have spent more money on repairs than I have to buy the car. The exterior has very nice styling other than the SE rims. The interior is very nice and comfortable, and the visibility is perfect. I would say the biggest plus to this car is the handling. It honestly handles like a dream. It is overall a solid car despite the constant repairs.

Favorite Features

Handling, pretty decent performance.

Suggested Improvements

The car is too old to suggest anything, but I would say more it could have used more power and better options for the SE.

Best thing I have owned sense my 70 Mav
By David Johnson

1996 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my SE in Nov 2005 and this car has done nothing short of giving me it's all. I tested it on the highway and it got 37MPG 5speed standard is the only way to go with one of these cars. I have sense then installed a turbo upgrade from a Mazda 626 kit that makes this little car a tiny monster. I am pushing 300HP at the front wheels and still get 30MPG when I drive it like I have some sense. The only car that I have ever owned that came clse to as much fun as this little car is my 1970 Maverick that I put a 1969 302 BOSS in. If you can find one in standard shift it is worth buying for a single person to get around in. Don't have any room in the back seat for anyone older than 7or 8

Favorite Features

Body style (very sleek) very low wind resistance. This car will coast down hills faster than most people's cars saving me gas. Handling, performance, fuel economy,

Suggested Improvements

Remove the speed limiter like on the GT models. I would like to take it to the drag strip every now and then!