1994 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
Looks are deceiving
By jfm on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

This is a fun vehicle to drive until everything under the hood needs replacing. Today I am trading my car in and the dealership is giving me a value of 1800.00. I am coming out great!!! In order to fix this vehicle the cost is probably little over 3000.00. The repairs are more than the value of the car. Good luck to anyone that buys this car.

inexpensive? i think not
By Lysabet on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

the transmission in my '94 probe se failed at 80k, and cost 3k to fix it, which is more than the value of the car. other than normal maintanence i've replaced the O2 sensors twice, the entire exhaust system, and too many engine parts to write the air conditioning is the only thing in my car that has been reliable. plus, i have a clean driving record and the insurance is expensive. it's an inexpensive "sports car", however the repairs and parts are super expensive. unless you can do the work yourself, or have an awesome mechanic, you'll be spending lots of cash to keep the car on the road.

Excellent Car
By Moeses on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I have had my Probe for over two years now. I have not had to do anything to it major yet. I had to have the transmission rebuilt but that was due to the design flaw in it, Ford should have recalled it but didn't. So I don't consider that my fault. I am in the process of upgrading it to be able to race it this fall.

Anything But Reliable
By sjj on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This car was great for the first few months. Everything worked fine. Once it got to about 100,000 miles everything just started falling apart. It needed new bearings, cv joints, mass air flow sensor, oxygen sensors, water pump, and belts. The complete brake system had to be replaced. The calipers, the lines, the pads and everything. It still needs a new clutch, and the transmission is really, really jerky in reverse. I know all of these repairs are common for higher milage cars, but $3,000+ in repairs in only 6 months is just outrageous. That is probably more then it is actually worth.

Good Time
By Sylvester on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I love my car. Runs excellent especially after putting a 200 hp mazda engine in it (the way it should have been done in the first place). Great high reving V6, top notch canyon carver, gets really great gas milage, handles better than anything in its price range and insurance is cheap. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a sports car with an inexpensve price tag. Great car for younger inexperienced drivers. It understeers hard enough to keep you out of trouble, has phenomenal brakes and is fast enough to be really fun but not dangerous. P.S. -Always buy a 5 speed, the automatics are worthless.

A faithful vehicle-always ready to go
By Fertileground on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I put over 100,000 miles on this one in under 4 years, and with the exception of a couple of sensor replacements and some dings, this car could be counted on every single day to start up and run smoothly.