Used 1994 Ford Probe Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Great Car, This is my 2nd one!
By Love this Car!

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love these cars! It handles very well in the snow, I live right next to a lake so I get plenty of lake effect snow. This car is perfect for everyday driving and sport tuning! I love the design and you can see very well out all of the windows, no blind spots. Just buy it you won't be unhappy!

4 wheel disc brakes, interior room - I'm 6'2" about 280lbs plenty of space for me and my wife and son, tons of trunk space, easy to fix, parts are cheap, beautiful exterior design!

Better styled cup holder, but this one works fine, all model styles should come with fog lights.

Can't Believe I Still Have It!
By KD

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

As the single owner of a '94 purchased 9/94, I can't believe I still have it. It is still plugging away, although I have had some major issues with it over the years. Oil leak, transmission, and the engine light that stayed on for 2 years and WASN'T the O2 sensor! (they kept telling me it was and changed it twice). I will agree strongly that the seats that are rotting, the liner where my hands have been (by window) is rotting, and the red is horrible! It's been painted twice and is now fading again. The trunk is massive (hauled a dining room set in 3 trips). It does idle rough, but could probably use a tuneup. But I have loved this car for 12 years. Need a new one and don't know what to get now.

The trunk room. The exterior design and the comfort of the interior.

Red color that doesn't fade every 5 years...less plastic and more durable accessories. Sturdier fabric in interior.

my friend, my Probe
By tlynn

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1994 Probe in 1997. It had 32,000 miles on it but looked brand new. I have been very happy with gas milage and still get 25.8 MPG IN City! Other than basic maintenance I have not had to do much mechanically to my Probe. The only disappointment I have had is the fading of the paint and the breaking down of the plastic parts used in some parts of the car. A mechanic explained to me that the problem I sometimes have in cold weather when my door won't unlock by the key is due to the breakdown of the hard plastic used. The same "plastic' is used in the seats for the lumbar positioning, etc. My driver seat is forever in the position I need it t

The body style is my favorite thing. Also, it is fun to drive!

Start making them again using metal and not plastic parts. Use better paint for the "Reds"!

Great balance of size, function and fun!
By sppooo

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Put nearly 100,000 miles on my Probe and am having a TOUGH time finding a replacement that offers as good a combination of fun driving, great styling and the ability to haul a LOT of stuff. (People comment that they can't BELIEVE how much I pull out of its trunk.) It HAS been problematic and expensive at times, and Probe parts can be expensive. Put about $1100 into it last year, a new clutch, some sort of sensor costing hundreds of bucks (they all do), and some issue with the starter. Still runs fine, is still fun, could use a little tuning perhaps and...my seats are starting to rot, I've GOT to get another car! But WHAT KIND????

Large trunk, great fuel economy (around 29-30 combined, a little less with AC) and spunky (with 5-speed)

Mechanicals pricey. Get an extended warranty to protect yourself.

Probe running strong
By Lanae

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I have owned my base probe since 6/29/99 (maroon w/black interior)and purchased it with a 3,000 mile warranty. I have done regular maintence to it and the 2 cv boots that needed replaced were covered by the warranty i bought. It has had some idling problems although, at the moment it vibrates so much that i have to put it in neutral at the stop light because it needs motor mounts. I am shocked that a domestic car could make it this far. I am thinking about getting another probe 95-97 but, i have heard that the GT parts are expensive so a SE will suit me just fine.

pop-up headlights, low seating, car design.

Wished they could have continued making these cars. Better solid build.