Used 1994 Ford Probe GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Fun car
By ssco00

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this new in Ohio and broke it in with a trip to Colorado a week later. Once I found the proper seat setting, it is completely comfortable for 600+ mile days. Ride is harsh, but seats fine. Great trunk space, takes intersections like a slot car. It really likes to play on mountain roads. 10,000 feet altitude is no problem. Have had CV joints, front struts, engine mounts, part of exhaust system and distributor replaced. I replaced gas springs on hatch twice, the headlights recently, and the power antenna needs replaced. Not bad for 16 years.

Favorite Features

Handling and general appearance. It still looks modern after 16 years.

Suggested Improvements

For the price and performance and when it was made, it is difficult to criticize.

Bought Used
By Anthony

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in November of '08 with 180,000 miles on it. Guy just didn't want it anymore and was only asking $1000 cash. I'm now at 190,500 miles and I've just replaced the original transmission. I could tell she was used as a racer, but I thought with a little TLC, I could get her back to being a decent car for all the work she had to have done to her. I've put in a new distributor, ignition control module, cap, rotor, egr sensor, egr valve, fuel filter, fuel pump, bosch wires and bosch iridium plugs in her. She runs like a champ and I don't foresee any major work anytime in the near future. I'll turn 200,000 miles no problem.

Favorite Features

Cornering, switchback mountain roads are a blast to drive (handles extremely well), passing at highway speeds is no problem.

Suggested Improvements

I need a paint job badly, Ford needed a better paint than what they used (mine's badly faded - my car is black), and next time make the timing belt more accessible... Almost impossible to get to in the GT model.

Still great after all these years
By Bobby Holden

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Probe GT since 2000 now and it's just as reliable as the 89 probe LX I had in the 90's. They always started for me as long as the battery was worth a darn. They don't require any more maintence than any other modern car with O2 sensors and fuel injection. They actually are way less complicated than cars made after 2000 that have crap like O2 sensors built into the catalatic converter and other mergers of components that make repair more expensive and upgrades impossable. The avalible upgrades are endless, from Lambo doors to head- light conversions the only limitation is your wallet. Horsepower is easily beefed up. Most cars wish they had upgrades like this avalible. A++ always!

Favorite Features

Head room and body style. So much better than the Stealth I had before. So many different upgrades availabe people won't even know what your driving.

Suggested Improvements

Change the brain box. The usa models onlt have 164 horses because of epa regs. The j-spec brain box gets 200 out of the box off the same motor.

Attention grabber
By th

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Haven't had this car too long but my friend/cousin had it a while before that and it never seemed to have any major problems. Great pickup speed. Try to put premium in it for better performance but runs great either way. Just being a 94 Probe, it still grabs the attention of many passers-by. I'm not sure about everyone else, but mine sort of makes a rattling noise in the exhaust around 2500 rpm. No leaks, and sounds the same even after replacing the flexpipe.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance, acceleration, stickshift, hugs road

Suggested Improvements

I'd say more room in back, but now I don't have to taxi everyone. I will say stronger hydraulics, as mine gave out for the hatchback

Bring it back
By all for it !

1994 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought my GT almost 2 years ago. Been in love ever since. Was a daily driver till just recently, now Iím putting some time and money into the improvement of it. It's got a real good base for performance. And if youíve got the time and money they can be super fast. So far with just the basics headers, exhaust, cold air intake, pcm Iím around 200hp! There is just something about getting behind the wheel of this car.

Favorite Features

Styling, 5 speed is snappy, handles great

Suggested Improvements

A turbo would be nice. Interior panels make noise.