Used 1994 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Probe

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Most Helpful|
Fun car
By ssco00

1994 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this new in Ohio and broke it in with a trip to Colorado a week later. Once I found the proper seat setting, it is completely comfortable for 600+ mile days. Ride is harsh, but seats fine. Great trunk space, takes intersections like a slot car. It really likes to play on mountain roads. 10,000 feet altitude is no problem. Have had CV joints, front struts, engine mounts, part of exhaust system and distributor replaced. I replaced gas springs on hatch twice, the headlights recently, and the power antenna needs replaced. Not bad for 16 years.

Favorite Features

Handling and general appearance. It still looks modern after 16 years.

Suggested Improvements

For the price and performance and when it was made, it is difficult to criticize.

Crappiest Car ever
By jennyfly09

1994 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1994 Ford Probe the middle of last year and I'm sorry to say but this is the worst car that I have ever seen. Within a month, I had to pay 1600 to get the transmission rebuilt. To this day, I've paid at least over 2300 dollars in repairs and it still needs repairs done to it. I've read the other reviews here about their probes and they were the lucky ones but I honestly will most likely never buy another Ford again because this one completely ruined it for me. The car was only owned by one other person and she had similar issues with it so i highly doubt its the age because she took care of it, fixed it when it needed to be.

Favorite Features

the only features i like is the cd player thats brand new because the last owner had to replace it and i like the fact that the car looks pretty decent

Suggested Improvements

Put more work into building the car, inside and out, don't build it halfway and do a high quality job because honestly, Ive made 2300 dollars in repairs in less than a year and in my opinion thats just ridiculous.

My '94 Probe SE
By Jamie

1994 Ford Probe SE 2dr Hatchback

My husband bought me this car a couple of weeks ago, and so far I love it. It has 137,000 miles on it but has been maintained very well. I have had no problems at all with rust on the sunroof or anywhere else. All electronics in the car still work including the electric sunroof and windows and keyless entry and also the A/C and heater.. It's fun to drive and fast enough (though it could be a lot faster). It gets decent gas mileage but it drinks a lot if you have to drive mountains. The exterior is beautiful, garage kept (where it'll stay). It doesn't look like a 1994 model car and I think if maintained well I can get 100,000+ more miles out of the car.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are horrible at first, but once you get settled in them they aren't too bad on a trip. Better be a small adult or a child to ride in the backseat.

Still great after all these years
By Bobby Holden

1994 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Probe GT since 2000 now and it's just as reliable as the 89 probe LX I had in the 90's. They always started for me as long as the battery was worth a darn. They don't require any more maintence than any other modern car with O2 sensors and fuel injection. They actually are way less complicated than cars made after 2000 that have crap like O2 sensors built into the catalatic converter and other mergers of components that make repair more expensive and upgrades impossable. The avalible upgrades are endless, from Lambo doors to head- light conversions the only limitation is your wallet. Horsepower is easily beefed up. Most cars wish they had upgrades like this avalible. A++ always!

Favorite Features

Head room and body style. So much better than the Stealth I had before. So many different upgrades availabe people won't even know what your driving.

Suggested Improvements

Change the brain box. The usa models onlt have 164 horses because of epa regs. The j-spec brain box gets 200 out of the box off the same motor.

Bought Used
By Anthony

1994 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in November of '08 with 180,000 miles on it. Guy just didn't want it anymore and was only asking $1000 cash. I'm now at 190,500 miles and I've just replaced the original transmission. I could tell she was used as a racer, but I thought with a little TLC, I could get her back to being a decent car for all the work she had to have done to her. I've put in a new distributor, ignition control module, cap, rotor, egr sensor, egr valve, fuel filter, fuel pump, bosch wires and bosch iridium plugs in her. She runs like a champ and I don't foresee any major work anytime in the near future. I'll turn 200,000 miles no problem.

Favorite Features

Cornering, switchback mountain roads are a blast to drive (handles extremely well), passing at highway speeds is no problem.

Suggested Improvements

I need a paint job badly, Ford needed a better paint than what they used (mine's badly faded - my car is black), and next time make the timing belt more accessible... Almost impossible to get to in the GT model.